Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been pushing this off for too long now..... I just noticed that I have beginning corrosion separation (F'ing RUST) on my trainling arms, right where the spring bolts attach....... not too much but more than I'm happy and comfortable with.....

I need two new spindles and two new arms.... while we're at it I'll replace the rotor backing plates and the studs..... wow..... I know I'll be looking at a helluvalotof money again.... again......... I thought I was done for a while and was just getting ready deciding what color gauges I want (black or silver) and now this.....

I aleady PM'd Gary, he's great and very helpful :cheers:

Oh... I need to get the gauges working too..... rant off..... for now....:laughing:

Edit:
just took a picture - the passenger side is worse but not accessible right now.

When I had this apart in 2004 I only wire brushed and used some black spray paint. The wheel bearings have a little play and the spindle threads are (at least on one side) in bad shape...

Some time ago someone posted a photo on cf that showed the bolt pulled thru the arm and the trailing arm pocket ripped apart ... yes, I'll get the stronger aftermarket arms :thumbsup:

I'll have to take my old arms out and take them apart first because I have to re-use my bearing supports ... looks like a few more weeks downtime...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean; priorities shifting on a daily basis. At least it will be one less thing you have to do....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
If I did it over again, I would get the offset arms. They are heavier construction, and even though I don't need 'em, ya never know.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VanSteel has offset and stock style arms made from thick material :thumbsup:

I don't need the offset arms but maybe I install some 13x18 rims after I win the lottery.... :laughing:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I do feel sorry for all the extra $$ you guys back east have to spend on rust repair. Kalifornia cars just don't have these issues. Surface rust, occasionally, but like that, virtually never.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do feel sorry for all the extra $$ you guys back east have to spend on rust repair. Kalifornia cars just don't have these issues. Surface rust, occasionally, but like that, virtually never.
The car was originally purchased in Ohio, not the best environment for a rust free life....

When I took it apart it still had the rivets in the rotors. I believe all these parts are original and almost 30 years old ... I think they could be in worse shape... the frame is solid at the kickups and inside the trailing arm pockets.

The backing plates are 80% rust, not much metal left.... I used some rust converter in 2004 and painted them black.... I had no choice but converting the rust... if I had removed the rust there wouldn't be anything left :laughing:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
MB79, don't feel like the loan stranger there, my '72 some 12 years ago got treated to two new full out stock t-arms/bearings/hubs/spindles....tossed about a grand into that ass end right off the bat, but it was all new...if it moved it was replaced....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm going to take a good long hard look at mine also. I have about the same issue as you do. VS has the double offsets on sale and i was considering them also. I don't need the offset as my stockers are fitting OK but I do want the extra strength of the newer style.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If anyone is interested I have a solid set of factory t-arms with spherical joints instead of rubber bushings.....
redvetracr

·
Registered
107 Posts
The car was originally purchased in Ohio, not the best environment for a rust free life....

I believe all these parts are original and almost 30 years old ... I think they could be in worse shape...
If I can pull a '68 that spent it's whole life in WI back from the rust monster, a 30 year old one should be doable as well. I had to get 4 welds on the arms. Give yourself an awful lot of time though ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts