Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed the brakes on my 88 coupe getting a little more spongy with each cruise last year so I did some research thru DC and discovered it could be the old brake fluid losing it's punch. So, before I changed out the fluid, I decided new EBC front brake pads and a set of SS brake hoses might complete the fix. Sure enough, with the new items on, the rotors turned, the system bled and brake fluid replaced, the brakes feel great. Thanks to all the DC contributors for the treasure trove of good advice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One main cause (of course there are others like the master cylinder) of that condition is the rubber brake lines. They get mushy and lose their stiffness. As you press the brakes the hydraulic effect of the brake fluid pushes on the inside walls of the rubber lines and they will get bulges which increases the overall inside diamater of the lines which decreases the "felt" pressure of the fluid at the brake caliper pistons which push against the brake pads. Eventually one of those bulges gives and POP.....fluid all over that general area and pedal goes to the floor. JOY RIDE! :D

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
I decided new EBC front brake pads and a set of SS brake hoses might complete the fix. Sure enough, with the new items on, the rotors turned, the system bled and brake fluid replaced, the brakes feel great.
Sweet, congrats! The stock brakes aren't too shabby when they're in good order and those SS brake hoses are a nice touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts