Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer/fall the brakes on my 88 coupe started to feel spongy to the point that I thought I might be losing some fluid or somehow air had entered the brake lines. Brake fluid was not low and thus, I did not add any. A local mechanic whose advice I respect said that brakes can feel spongy due to the Vette sitting for extended periods of time. After reading DC forums regarding soft brakes, I purchased steel braided hoses to replace the old original rubber ones . The original hoses, though old, appear to be in good condition and I noticed they are larger in diameter than the steel braided replacements. Is that normal? Anyway, I plan on bleeding the system and installing the new hoses to resolve the problem. Comments please?:huh:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think you should go ahead a bleed the system again

Also Check EVERY SINGLE INCH OF THE METAL LINES

The last i looked (my metal lines are kinda rusty)

especially the metal line that rides (near) under the oil pan.

·
Registered
386 Posts
YES Make sure the brakes are bled completely, the slightest amount of air in the system will cause the spongy feeling. Other than that it could also be a vacuum leak or possibly old brake fluid ( brake fluid can lose it's viscosity and absorb moisture ) When was the last time the fluid was changed/flushed?

By the way, My first post here, and ALMOST a new c4 vette owner, hopefully this week, so I am going to get settled in here : ) I've been browsing the babes section though don't worry! I'll have to add pics of my gf if she'll let me!

Adam

·
Registered
547 Posts
How old are the rubber brake lines?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the comments. :thumbsup: The hoses that are on the car now appear to be the original ones. I'll check the brake lines more closely altho the last time I looked they seemed fine. The brake fluid is at least 5 years old. The car has been garaged most of it's life and has 73k original miles. In the last 4years I have driven it less than 1000 miles/year, thus the comment from the mechanic about the effects of letting the Vette sit for extended periods of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts