Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much preload to put on a spreader bar? Car has not been to alignment, or even finished for that matter. Bus as long as I am building this thing, how to set it up?

·
Registered
905 Posts
When I put mine in I just set the car on the ground and then adjusted the spreader bar so it was tight against the control arm mounts. I then took it to alignment. Car drives great now. I can let go of the wheel for quite a while before it veers off track.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thats 1 weight on and 1 weight off.
Guess it kind of makes sense to do it weight off, that way the flex is out when you roll in a corner..

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Danny,
When I did mine, I left it nuetral, easily turned back and forth by hand. When I set the car on the ground, I felt to see if it moved. It did not move at all. Same place. Although the frame may flex dynamically, in my case it did not flex at all when I loaded the weight on the frame.
Ergo, I think if you snug it up after install, it just doesn't matter.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Danny,
When I did mine, I left it nuetral, easily turned back and forth by hand. When I set the car on the ground, I felt to see if it moved. It did not move at all. Same place. Although the frame may flex dynamically, in my case it did not flex at all when I loaded the weight on the frame.
Ergo, I think if you snug it up after install, it just doesn't matter.
tighten the bar on an alingment rack and watch the camber setting change....I do mine down on the ground turning the bar by hand till snug.
redvetracr

·
Registered
512 Posts
I know a guy that owns a performance alignment shop and he hates spreader bars that attach to the A-arms. He unhooks the bar, does the alignment and puts the bar back in with no preload. Then, if you want, you can tweak your alignment with the bar. If you had to align a C3 with a preloaded spreader it would be a bitch.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I know a guy that owns a performance alignment shop and he hates spreader bars that attach to the A-arms. He unhooks the bar, does the alignment and puts the bar back in with no preload. Then, if you want, you can tweak your alignment with the bar. If you had to align a C3 with a preloaded spreader it would be a bitch.
it doesn't make any sense to me to set it up with the car jacked up. Should have the car aligned first, then install the bar with virtually zero preload.

·
Registered
512 Posts
it doesn't make any sense to me to set it up with the car jacked up. Should have the car aligned first, then install the bar with virtually zero preload.
He does his alignments with the car on the ground, I don't know how you would align a car "jacked up".

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
He does his alignments with the car on the ground, I don't know how you would align a car "jacked up".
:agree: I think we're sayin' the same thing. Align the car on the ground and then install the bar so that it's just snug. Don't wrench on it or you'll undo the alignment you just had done!

no need to jack up the car unless you want to get a feel for how much your shock towers flex. About 1/4" on mine from wheels up to normal ride height. :lookinup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
1/4 inch?? I am amazed it's that little....I would have guess 1/2 inch min.....

:WTF
Gene. I set mine in nuetral while in the air. (Hand movement ) When I dropped the car to the ground, it was still loose. The I snugged it up. NO perceptable difference. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just went through this. I had a performance shop align mine with the bar completly out of the car. Set it to the correct specs then installed the bar while it was still on the rack. We tightened it up as much as I could with both hands so it was pretty tight. It did not change the camber or alignment one bit. My frame is in very good shape with little or no rust and not a ton of miles either so that may make mine a little firmer than most older C3 frames. I thought it might change a little but it is very solid in there. I have autoX the car since and it tracks very well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I just went through this. I had a performance shop align mine with the bar completly out of the car. Set it to the correct specs then installed the bar while it was still on the rack. We tightened it up as much as I could with both hands so it was pretty tight. It did not change the camber or alignment one bit. My frame is in very good shape with little or no rust and not a ton of miles either so that may make mine a little firmer than most older C3 frames. I thought it might change a little but it is very solid in there. I have autoX the car since and it tracks very well.

You aren't too far from me. Which alignment shop did you use? :cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
You aren't too far from me. Which alignment shop did you use? :cheers:
The place is Ceriales automotive services. They are on 861 Woodlane Rd in Westampton NJ 08060. Tele 609 267 4600. They have a Hoffman V3D alignment machine tha tis state of the art in alignment. Nice guy doing the alignments, he was guided by the old man who owned the shop on how to do C3 alignments. Corvette Paramedics farms out all their alignments to these guys. He set it to my specs and I stayed with him the whole time.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The place is Ceriales automotive services. They are on 861 Woodlane Rd in Westampton NJ 08060. Tele 609 267 4600. They have a Hoffman V3D alignment machine tha tis state of the art in alignment. Nice guy doing the alignments, he was guided by the old man who owned the shop on how to do C3 alignments. Corvette Paramedics farms out all their alignments to these guys. He set it to my specs and I stayed with him the whole time.
Thanks!

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts