Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 C5 is making a squealing noise while running. Believe it's coming from alternator or pulley, sounds like tennis shoes on basketball court. Started a few weeks ago, went away quickly. Now it's full time, anyone else run into this issue or know how to fix it. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
approaching the problem logically with an isolate and test mentality would be the fastest way to cure the issue.
Id suggest he pull the belt and spin the accessories by hand to feel for bad bearings and listen for roughness, binding or squeaks, etc. in the search for the cause of that squealing on start-up,once youve eliminated the obvious accessory bearings, and replaced any accessory or idler you found defective or worn, Id certainly check for power steering pump leaks , check carefully for a loose or mis-aligned pulleys,loose ballancer, and check the air conditioning compressor and alternator along with the water pump and idler pulley bearing,a worn serpentine belt is easily checked with a good spray down with belt traction spray,
and / or replacing the belt ( especially if it shows any sign of wear or cracks)and check for loose vacuum hoses or belt mis-alignment while your at the check and isolate process

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/CRC-Belt-Grip-400g/1444

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Check the Harmonic Balancer.
They are known to fail on all LS Corvettes.
The Outer inertia ring is the Serpantine belt Drive pulley for all accessories.
I have seen them fail a dozen times on C5 & C6 Corvettes.

If it wobbles the Bottom crank pulley quit driving it.
Get it fixed.
The Rack & Pinion has to be pulled to gain enough room to change the LS Balancer Pulley.

I would go right for an ATI Racing Harmonic Balancer LS Corvette.

$800 Peace of Mind.

If it Blows apart it will take out the radiator & go right through the Hood on your Corvette.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Get it fixed.
The Rack & Pinion has to be pulled to gain enough room to change the LS Balancer Pulley.

$800 Peace of Mind.

If it Blows apart it will take out the radiator & go right through the Hood on your Corvette.
The balancer was my first concern although I have mostly read about them failing and going the other way, into the water pump casting. i have also read about guys with small hands can just move stuff out of the way to replace the balancer, so an skilled asian shop is sometimes mentioned for this work. Bummer that a less expensive balancer wasn't recommended.

I would get a mechanics stethoscope to trace down the noises, harbor freight has them for a couple of bucks, some guys report just using a cut down broom handle.

the next is in response to the guy who was suggesting a new alternator.

Be very aware of what to expect when changing the alternator. The computer only understands the expected output from the factory unit, the reason why some guys have gone the rebuilt route , to get the system working correctly again. It is designed as a system, and the computer acts up if fed too much power. It was never designed as a car with a lot of power demands, like a big amp. it is a tightly designed performance car, built on the cheap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2000 C5 is making a squealing noise while running. Believe it's coming from alternator or pulley, sounds like tennis shoes on basketball court. Started a few weeks ago, went away quickly. Now it's full time, anyone else run into this issue or know how to fix it. Thanks in advance
Eliminate the AC belt , and you will eliminate the squeal and air conditioning! That’s what I did! Or you can change out the pulleys (all) !! I recommend all ! Especially if you got a c5

·
Registered
115 Posts

Get it fixed.

$800 Peace of Mind.

My belt walked off the harmonic balancer yesterday ! Lmao imma go with that ati , poor vette is going to the shop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get some spray carb cleaner from your local auto parts place and carefully spray the inside of the belt while the engine is idling.
Or may be it is time for the belts to be replaced on the car anyway, so try to replace all the pulleys and belts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts