Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a squeeking noise when I test drove my car before buying it.
The place I bought it from said they would take care of it. they suspected it was the belt tensioner, which I knew that was not the noise I was hearing, but figured they would check it out.
They said it was the tensioner and that they replaced it.

I noticed the noise again and did a little testing.
It only seems to happen when I cut the wheel to the left or in any sweeping left turn.
I don't hear it in right turn situations.

My first guess is a wheel bearing.
I haven't done any real testing.(hanging out the window to see where the noise is coming from exactly), but it seems to be coming from the rear. The exhaust is loud so the sound is difficult to hear.

What are some common things to look for?

My car has the active suspension, so I am going to try different settings to see if the sound is he same.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would look at the brake pads and make sure the squeaker clips are not and have not been contacting the rotors unless you are familiar with this sound and know that it isn't that type of squeak. If you know any mechanics have them listen they might have heard the same sound and know what it could be good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I failed to mention is the place I bought this car from replaced all the brake pads.
They didn't cut the rotors though.(Idiots)

You did give me an idea though.
I will get it in a sweeping left and start applying the brakes to see if the sound goes away or changes.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Get in a big, empty parking lot, tie the steering wheel to the left, put the car in drive, get out and let it go. Run beside it and see if you can locate the noise.

:laughing:

Don't do that. I'm just kidding! I' in a silly mood tonight! :laughing:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Any luck on the brake sensors?
I had a annoying squeak develope in the right front after lowering, originally thought it was a shock or bushing...which turned out to be a sway bar rub on a plastic panel. It was easy to find after putting the front up on ramps, crawling under and pulling down on the sway bar, compressing the shocks.
This may not be your squeak, but it would be an easier method to crawl under and shake things up than running along side..................:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this morning I noticed definite brake noise.
I'm thinking the guy that put the new pads on didn't put the brake quiet stuff between the pads and calipers.

I think this is going to require me raising the car up, pulling the wheels off and putting a dial indicator on the rotors to see if they are warped.

Good excuse to buy a low profile jack;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Interesting. Mine just started doing this. Does it sound more like a metal on metal scraping noise? That's what mine is doing. Same deal as you though, left turns only, defiantly from the RR wheel. The pads are fine. If the weather clears up today, i'll pull the wheel off and see if i can spot anything.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You guys have got to get hip to Wagner brake pads. My brakes haven't squeaked since I got rid of those crappy AC Delco stockers that came on the car. You don't have to put any squeak eliminator crap on them either and mine came with a lifetime warranty.

Wagner Themo-Quiets rock! :partyon:

·
Registered
362 Posts
You guys have got to get hip to Wagner brake pads. My brakes haven't squeaked since I got rid of those crappy AC Delco stockers that came on the car. You don't have to put any squeak eliminator crap on them either and mine came with a lifetime warranty.

Wagner Themo-Quiets rock! :partyon:
Thanks, but i would absolutely MELT those pads. :laughing: As it is, i can get the EBC Yellows on mine to fade. Not much, they've never scared me and it takes some real effort to get them there, but i can do it. haha.

They haven't made any noise in the past, and my noise started after an event, so i suspect i got something caught in the pads or in the wheel... a rock or something i'm guessing. Hopefully something silly. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts