Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's using braided or other non standard radiator hoses? Would you mind posting some pics please?

I want to use something other than standard but don't know what to choose!

Thanks... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts

Flexi Stainless... Fast and cheap until I can fabricate Aluminum Hard lines and silicone couplers.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I just finished redoing my whole cooling system. I first tried some cheap braided SS covered "flexible" hoses from summit, but the braid was terrible quality and the upper hose was too stiff to make it over the alternator bracket without interfering with the belt.

I ended up going with flexsteel hoses from Speedway Motors (www.speedwaymotors.com). Got the 36" chrome hose for the upper and 36" polished alum for the lower to save $10. I'm not sure if they 24" hoses would have been long enough. It would have been real close. Similar hoses are available from Summit for about the same price.

here a link to the thread about my setup:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76099

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using aeroquip -20 AN starlite hose
I would like to go with hoses like that but I'm concerned that I'll have the same problem as lsejlowe and that they'll be a problem around the alternator. I might have to go with the flixible steel hoses...

Thanks for the responses guys and TT, that car of yours looks awesome. I can't wait to see it finished. Do you have a time frame for completion?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
no date set for completion :) I'll never make that anyway if I did pick a time schedule.

For the AN hose you need an AN20 waterneck, they're not too hard to get. You can get alu or brass weld (brazing in case of brass) bungs from many sources, probably summit, russel, earls..you name it.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mate but will that keep the hose clear of the alternator bracket/belt?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Custom stuff ;) my hose comes from about halfway center of the radiator because I have a remote thermstat/cooldown/burp valve unit in between and the alternator is on the passenger side, it's a tiny powermaster/denso alternator. Much smaller than the GM stuff.

This is the only dcent pic I have, missing the stat housing here:

The thing on the left w/ the 2 red caps, just behind and next to the power steering reservoir (clamped to the "spreader bar") is the remote thermostat.

You can see it here, this is how it comes off the rad to clear the control arm (the rad is in a radically different location from stock, otherwise it won't fit :) )

·
Registered
183 Posts
Click on my pictures. I use Cool Flex. Same stuff as Flex Steel. Stainless hoses with chrome end covers. There are rubber ends where you insert the stainless hose and slide the other end over the water neck, water pump, or radiator inlet or oulet. I used two 24 inch kits. I ran the upper hose over the belt and attached it to a 90 degree swivel water neck. Make sure that you leave the hose just a tiny bit long to compensate for engine flex.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a monster TT :partyon: Have you had it running yet?

Do you know what the other hose sizes are in AN? Heater, fuel etc...

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Do you mean stock hoses and lines? AN is just a system used for hard line connectors and hoses w. hose ends for those connectors. It's a fractional system derived from hard line sizes. For instance a -6 line is for use on a 6/16 = 3/8 hard line. Meaning the -6 tube nuts and sleeves fit a 3/8 line and the hose ends fit the -6 nutss and the hose has an ID of at least the same as the 3/8 hard line. Kinda weird at first but once you know why it's done like that you get why. But you are an aircraft mech right? You know how the system works.

Anyway, stock fuel lines are either 1/4 or 5/16 (for instance 82 has a 5/16 feed and 1/4 return) You can actually get -5 AN adapters, well actually they're JIC (hydraulic stuff), Aeroquip sells them, summit has them. Then you can use a -5 to -6 JIC adapters (also aeroquip, summit has them) to go to a -6 AN hose/fitting combo.

Heater probably is a -8 size but if you want to use the real deal you need some 1/2" (I think) NPT to -8 adapters for the manifold/waterpump and either braze some AN bungs on the heater core or use hose clamps (yuck!!) I'm going to use an AN-8 cooler for a heater core (gotta have a defor/heater, it's mandatory)

The engine has run however not w/ the turbos plumbed to the intake, just blowing athmospherically. Still have to finish up the ducting, could have a long time ago but refuse to use stainless or mild steel. I have the proper size alu tubing but only long straight sections, need to find a source for weld elbows/bends, don't want to do it like the downpipes by chopping up angled slices. Gonna redo the downpipes w/ weld elbows anyway because I'm changing from under car to side pipes because of the lowered floor. Easy to do, should be able to finish those in a day after I get the material.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The engine has run however not w/ the turbos plumbed to the intake, just blowing athmospherically. Still have to finish up the ducting, could have a long time ago but refuse to use stainless or mild steel. I have the proper size alu tubing but only long straight sections, need to find a source for weld elbows/bends, don't want to do it like the downpipes by chopping up angled slices. Gonna redo the downpipes w/ weld elbows anyway because I'm changing from under car to side pipes because of the lowered floor. Easy to do, should be able to finish those in a day after I get the material.
Marck, this company makes aluminum bends, looks like they will do thin wall any diameter or radius:

http://velocityair.cc/welcome.htm

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bending aluminim tube? It's a good question for the engineers around here...

I thought you had to start with like 6061-T0 to bend then harden to T6 otherwise you get cracks...
There are other alloys of course.

Just my recollection :lookinup:

A good thinwall mandrel bending machine is outside of my playtoy budget :rolling: :rolling: :thud:

If I can't fix it with a hammer, I just get a bigger hammer :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
im using the flexible stainless steeel hose and it is great. it has clearance with the alterntor and all that! PM if u want a picture and ill take one when i get home from work:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts