1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
49 Posts
Paddle shifters are in some of the best performance cars in the world ,including corvette. Its the people not he peddles that slow the cars down these days

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
It won't be an automatic. Popular mechanics should stick to articles on "floating cities" and advanced laser garage door openers. :laughing:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Auto and stick are being offered if we listen to the rumors..

I'd prefer Dual clutch sequentials but the generals behind the times with transmission technology at this point...(or they are very quiet)

The GM v8 produces so much hp and tq GM is behind the trend.

It will be the improved emissions and increased fuel economy that in my opinion moves the general to finally offer Dual clutch sequential technology.

I have decided I won't buy another manual tranny due to GM's inability to fix the sticking clutch pedal issue many have experienced with their manuals..

I just change out the fluid monthly and accept the fact its part of maintaince costs on the car..

Not a big deal but needs to be addressed.

I've heard the automatic is faster than the manual and both can burn off the tires at will.

Putting the power down consistantly has been the SS's biggest issue.

We really are reaching the limits of common sense with this much power.

JMO but cool as hell!

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Popular Mechanics. Yeah.

Vogue is saying that the composite body is being scrapped and replaced by tafita.

... no, I have no idea what tafita looks like.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Though it wouldnt be a vette if they didn't have a manual option you have to admit that if gm were to make a padle shift auto for it, and do it right, you could change gears, and change them well faster than some of us may never be able to do wiht a manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at what the F1 cars are running. The paddle shift automatic is the wave of the future in hi-performance cars. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer a stick over an auto, even though it means sometimes having to endure it while trying to negotiate gridlock traffic, but if the most elite drivers in the world are using it exclusively in the most technologically advanced racing machines in existence, it must be for a reason.

I remember a similar lament 20+ years ago as the "purists" resisted the move to fuel injection. Of course, with modern computer controlled F.I. engines cranking out 500+ hp and 28 mpg, the carburetor is now seen as a dinosaur.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Offer both, some people with back problems can"t drive manuals for extended periods of time. An advanced type automatic would be a nice option.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
We can whine all we want about what trannies will be in it. Most of us won't be able to afford it anyway.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Take a look at what the F1 cars are running. The paddle shift automatic is the wave of the future in hi-performance cars. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer a stick over an auto, even though it means sometimes having to endure it while trying to negotiate gridlock traffic, but if the most elite drivers in the world are using it exclusively in the most technologically advanced racing machines in existence, it must be for a reason.

I remember a similar lament 20+ years ago as the "purists" resisted the move to fuel injection. Of course, with modern computer controlled F.I. engines cranking out 500+ hp and 28 mpg, the carburetor is now seen as a dinosaur.
AGAIN ... The solinoid shifted manual based transmissions used in F1 have almost nothing in common with traditional automatic transmissions like the GM 6A. The GM 6A is an OUTSTANDING tranny. BMW even buys it from GM for some of its offerings. But it can not match the shift times of a 6Mn for setting up and exiting turns.

Maybe the next generation of GM trannies will actually be a computer / solinoid controlled manual based unit that will actually shift faster than humanly possible. THAT tranny will be able to match, or maybe exceed 6mn track times. THAT is the future.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Popular Mechanics. Yeah.

Vogue is saying that the composite body is being scrapped and replaced by tafita.

... no, I have no idea what tafita looks like.
Yeah, but I'll bet it's pretty...and shiny.:rolling:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts