Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with starter heat soak?
What is the best way to solve it without moving the solenoid?
:huh:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Will the purple wire on a starter still have power if heatsoak is the problem?:huh: I ask because after driving my car for about an hour it will not start (the purple wire has no power when it wont start) but if I wait 1 hour 45 minutes it starts right up?:huh:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like you have a different problem, heat soak affects the solenoid and the starter motor, not your wires.

That's an interesting problem. Have you check the continuity of the wire itself to be sure the wire is good?

·
Registered
0 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Sounds like you have a different problem, heat soak affects the solenoid and the starter motor, not your wires.

That's an interesting problem. Have you check the continuity of the wire itself to be sure the wire is good?
No I havent...my car is put away for the winter....The purple wire to the solonoid has no power when the car wont start...then if I wait 1 hour 45 minutes the car will start?:huh: I plan on making my car start via push button in the spring...it will look cool & bypass all the factory bs!:nuts:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
BubbleHead said:

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found an el cheapo solenoid shield for $3, should I?
Solenoid shield $3
Starter wrap $22
Aluminum starter shield $25
Starting your vette witout a problem Priceless

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Jlreyna said:
I found an el cheapo solenoid shield for $3, should I?
Solenoid shield $3
Starter wrap $22
Aluminum starter shield $25
Starting your vette witout a problem Priceless
I always used the aluminum starter shields ($20) on my C3's, and they worked fine. The blankets probably work just as well. For the effort involved removing and re-installing the starter, I wouldn't rely on just a solenoid shield. It's cheap insurance to cover the whole starter.

A little thermo-tec wrap on the exhaust drop pipe (stock) or header primaries will help insulate the starter as well.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've decided to buy the solenoid shield and get the starter wrap.
That should provide extra protection.
Damn headers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts