Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a new starter on 72 383, When I was done the first few times the car started right up like it was brand new. Now maybe 6 starts later it sounds like a power drill that can turn the screw so its slipping.

like a high pitched machine gun.

I was wondering if this is a shim issue? The old started had no shims on it so I didnt replace any. Maybe I need to add?

As you know from previous threads Im semi-car retarded so when you answer answer like youre talking to a 3 year old.

lol

Thanks Matt

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Never change a starter with out checking the clearance young man, Now go to your room.

Pull the starter and check it. It could be the solenoid not pulling in correctly. Check all the teeth on your flywheel. Set the correct clearance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is what I found online, does this look right?

Shimming Procedure:
Unlike Ford and Chrysler which have a fixed starter drive gear to flywheel clearance,
GM starters have an Adjustable Clearance.

Important: Most GM pad-mounted starters prematurely fail as a result of improper shimming, regardless of whether the old starter had shims or not, you must inspect the clearance of the new unit as it may or may not require shimming.

Before Installation: You must understand the need for proper starter to flywheel clearance. This “clearance” is critical to avoid damage to Flywheel, Starter Drive and Battery.

Why Shimming Varies:
1. Mounting pad tolerances and hole locations vary from block to block, this moves the starter drive gear away from the flywheel varying distances.

2. The mounting pad on the engine block dimensions vary. This also moves the starter drive gear away from the flywheel varying distances.

•Step1 - Inspection: Remove lower flywheel housing cover and examine the entire flywheel for visual problems. (Worn, chipped or broken teeth; bent flywheel and/or incorrectly cut teeth)
•Step 2 - Check Clearance: Insert a screwdriver behind the starter drive. Move starter drive assembly out toward flywheel so that starter pinion and ring gear teeth mesh.
•Step 3 - Measure Clearance: Center the pinion tooth. Check clearance (looking for .025” - .060”). A convenient plug gauge is a common paper clip, which typically measures approximately .035”. Important - Check at least 3 ring gear locations 120o apart for proper clearance. Shim as required
at minimum clearance location. After measuring clearance, push starter drive back into original position.
•Step 4 - Proper Shimming: To increase clearance: Use entire shim across both holes. .015” shim increases clearance approximately .0075”. This moves the starter down and out, away from the flywheel (use no more than 6 shims). To decrease clearance: Use 1/2 shim only on the outer mounting bolt hole from oil pan. This moves the starter in and toward the flywheel. .015” shim decreases clearance approximately .010”

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That would be it. It's easier if you pull the solenoid off the starter so you can engage the starter by hand. With the tin can off the bottom it's really easy to see how deep the starter pinion gets into the flexplate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Installed a new starter on 72 383, When I was done the first few times the car started right up like it was brand new. Now maybe 6 starts later it sounds like a power drill that can turn the screw so its slipping.

like a high pitched machine gun.

I was wondering if this is a shim issue? The old started had no shims on it so I didnt replace any. Maybe I need to add?

As you know from previous threads Im semi-car retarded so when you answer answer like youre talking to a 3 year old.

lol

Thanks Matt
The "high pitched machine gun" sound doesnt sound like a shimming issue to me. When a starter is shimmed wrong you usually get a screaching/grinding sound.
To me, it sounds like the solenoid might be clicking as it tries to engage the starter. Thats usually caused by either a low battery, poor connection, or a bad solenoid.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The flywheel does turn when the key is turned, but doesnt turn enough to start the car. Thats when all the high pitched noise is heard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts