Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody :partyon: Been a while sense Ive posted on the forum, been caught up with a lot of stuff. Mostly recruit training and school of infantry. Well anyways, Im back home now (reservist) and trying to find a way to make some extra side money.

Well long story short, I work at a carwash (an express tunnel wash to be specific) and have always been a car guy. Ive always detailed my vehicles and my parents. Ive got a lil one on the way and was trying to think of a way to save money over the summer. Shes due December 1st so Ive got some time. So Ive been thinking of starting up a small detail job on the side.

My questions and advice needed are, how to set up advertising (figured I would make a facebook page sense most the people I already know, know Im a car guy and could find me that way). Also Im kind of stuck on price ranges. I know how to detail, everything from a basic wash to a complete detail with a rubbing compound and clay bar.

So my questions are:

1: How should I advertise?

2: What prices should I charge?

3: Should I do package deals and rain days?

4: Sense I dont really have a spot to detail considering my driveway is gravel, where should I detail at? Should I do it as a "come to you" deal?

Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I work as a detailer for a limo company which moonlights as a car wash(i do not buff as the lighting in my workplace is about as good as a dollar store flashlight). Advertising on kijiji/craigslist/deal sites and have before/after pics in it. If you can get a garage to work out of would be better than going house to house (friend or family members maybe give them a cut?) so you have a base of operation that is setup how you want it, you know where everything is and there are no surprises i.e no running water, annoying neighbors and weather. If you priced in/out cleaning for $20 you would have people comming to you from far and wide.

Before i worked where i am they had a "come to you" cleaning service with a dedicated trailer with 2 200L water containers, pressure washer, power cords...everything but not to many people liked it (only one guy with an aston martin). The response from customers was they would rather us come get the car while they worked. cleaned it and brought it back.

I wish you luck in your business.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I wish you the best of luck too but how are you going to detail cars when you don't have a place to do it? That kind of submarines the whole idea.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have a detail guy that comes to my work and does my truck right here. It's $30 to have the whole truck cleaned inside and out. Looks like a new truck when he's done. Once a month I throw him $45 and he waxes it too.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Investigate insurance for a "Auto Detail" buisness.....pros and cons.
Location, Pick up, delivery and offsite (owners location). The last thing you want to have happen is a claim against you for damages. Always walk around vehicle with owners supervision, looking for any prior damages before you start to work. Without insurance it would probably involve a lawsuit and take you right out of buisiness. Best of luck to you.
.........and Thank You for your Service! :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
Either way you're looking at having to invest a good amount of money to get this off the ground. Since you're not good on a location then your only option is to go mobile.

To build a nice, fully equipped trailer set aside about $5,000 (less if you already have a pressure washer, generator, and some of the other things)

Also, don't expect to run out of the gate making a fortune... most of this business is build on reputation... when I was still detailing for dollars it took me the better part of 4 years to build up enough reputation that I was actually making any REAL money.

Before you worry about prices and packages, get your insurance, business license, and any applicable permits in order. Last thing you want to do is screw up someones car and not have the insurance to cover it - you can say "It won't happen to me" as much as you want, but freak accidents do happen. Backing plates break, you drop something, you do something that damages a car... you MUST have insurance to cover it. Thats not even considering slip and fall type stuff as you will have water and chemical on teh ground.

Theres a lot more that goes into a 'detailing business' than people want to believe if you want to do it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts