Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 1968. I am in the process of a frame off. I plan on replacing all wearable and service parts. I will be following the AIM in detail. Complete front and rear suspension rebuild, complete drive train rebuild, frame will be tanked, blasted and powder coated. New mounts. New brakes w/SS lines. New fuel tank and lines. New interior carpet, seat covers and door panel, body is being brought down to fiberglass any repairs will be completed and new paint back to original etc. You get the gist of the restore. So my question is: Can the car be officially documented as 0 miles or must I retain the 81,581 on the odometer?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
well i imagin a car that old the title shouldnt even show milage on it by now. i guess its really all about the odometer if you get a brand new one and start it on zero then you can see how many miles have been on it since the resto.

I am restoring a 1968. I am in the process of a frame off. I plan on replacing all wearable and service parts. I will be following the AIM in detail. Complete front and rear suspension rebuild, complete drive train rebuild, frame will be tanked, blasted and powder coated. New mounts. New brakes w/SS lines. New fuel tank and lines. New interior carpet, seat covers and door panel, body is being brought down to fiberglass any repairs will be completed and new paint back to original etc. You get the gist of the restore. So my question is: Can the car be officially documented as 0 miles or must I retain the 81,581 on the odometer?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think the functionality of this law is do whatever you want to a car this age but don't misrepresent it. All you have to do is mark the title as true mileage unknown or exceeds actual when it's sold and you're free to reset the odometer as you please. But if you try to pass the title off with an odometer statement it better be the miles accumulated since 1968 and match the dashboard reading, regardless of the car's condition or state of restoration.

Good luck with the car, sounds like a neat one!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does it matter.....enjoy thr ride. when it comes to sale time the buyer is not gonna care as long it is a quality product.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Better safe than sorry. Check with your DMV and see what they say.

The NCRS 68-69 Technical Information and Specifications Guide would be handy to have during your restoration in addition to the AIM. It's possible there are changes shown in the AIM which may not be on your car. Check for revision dates in the notes along the bottom of the page.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better safe than sorry. Check with your DMV and see what they say.

The NCRS 68-69 Technical Information and Specifications Guide would be handy to have during your restoration in addition to the AIM. It's possible there are changes shown in the AIM which may not be on your car. Check for revision dates in the notes along the bottom of the page.

:thumbsup:
Thanks. I will do just that.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
It all boils down to this...

If you sell the car.

A person transferring ownership of a motor vehicle shall give the transferee the following written disclosure
Disclosure of the cumulative mileage registered on the odometer, or Disclosure that the actual mileage is unknown if the transferor knows that the odometer reading is different from the number of miles the vehicle has actually traveled

1 - 9 of 9 Posts