Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my motor is back in with after making some changes to it and I have developed a starting issue where the [email protected]#$ thing will not crank by the key:thud:

Changed the solenoid to correct a issue where it wanted to crank on some times but this was the only change made to the starting system.

I pulled a meter out and I;m reading between 9.6 and 10.3 volts at the blue wire that is on the s terminal when the key is engaged , when released it returns to 0 volts

shouldn't I be reading 12 volts here and what might the culprit be, I really don't want to continue starting this thing the bubba way with a screw driver:laughing:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
did you hook the little wire back on the solenoid?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:laughing:

Yes all the wires are in their proper places, but the blue wire (gm calls it ppl in their wiring schematic) is only feeding 9 to 10 vlts when the key is engaged and it does not trigger the starter to engage like it should

Does anyone know what it should be drawing and could the switch be bad? Im really banging my head against the wall on this one because I can start it all day long with my remote starter hook up but not by the key

·
Registered
910 Posts
:laughing:

Yes all the wires are in their proper places, but the blue wire (gm calls it ppl in their wiring schematic) is only feeding 9 to 10 vlts when the key is engaged and it does not trigger the starter to engage like it should

Does anyone know what it should be drawing and could the switch be bad? Im really banging my head against the wall on this one because I can start it all day long with my remote starter hook up but not by the key
Since it works with a remote, then the circuit should be your problem.

Yes, ideally you should be getting 12v to the purple at the solenoid. Compare that voltage to the large battery terminal on the solenoid. You won't get more voltage than that.

You may have a bad connection at the firewall bulkhead connector, the ignition switch or connector, or the neutral switch or connector.

If the switches test good, I like to solder the connectors to the wires while apart and then use a dab of NO-OX-ID "A SPECIAL" Electrical Contact Grease to improve conductivity over time. (available at electrical suppliers)

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts