Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Patro's corvette at a local cruise in, I was hooked and had to have a ls3 too for my 1979.

I just bought a L92 and 4l80 out of a 2009 escalade, and a LS3 intake and TB on line as well. Harness and ecm came.with, but no pedal. I am sure I am going to need a ton of things but help me get started. Was planing to get CIC's mounts for the motor, need to figure out accessory drive, water pump and who knows what else. Advice is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So just realized that the transmission that I got with this is a 6l80e not a 4l80e. Hope it will fit? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Looking forward to following your posts. DC is a great place to post your build.

CIC can do the accessory drive mounts as well. Most earlier automatic transmissions will bolt up with a spacer/adapter that can be sourced from GM performance parts. I can't speak to the electronic compatibility between the two, but there are those here who can.

Be sure to post some shots of the car before you start tearing her down.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
So just realized that the transmission that I got with this is a 6l80e not a 4l80e. Hope it will fit? Anyone know?
If it doesn't fit, you can modify the tunnel and or crossmember and make it fit. That's the whole fun in building these cars. Please remember to take and post lots of pictures along the way for us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if I am going to make this a "build" thread, I better catch it up.

This is a car I wasnt looking for at all. I have to drive quite a bit for work so I picked up a Honda Accord to try and save money on gas. 3 days later, Im at a restaurant and a guys pulls up in this 1979 corvette, and, being a car guy, I start talking to him. Long story short, I offered to trade the guy for it straight up for the Honda and he accepted. Little did I know what I was in for...

After the obligatory donuts and burnouts on the way home, I realized the car would need some serious work if I actually wanted to drive it.

I decided to replace all the suspension related parts, bushings, bearings, body mounts, etc. So put the car on the lift and tore into it.

Sorry for the cheesy collage, its the only before picutres I can find, since that stage lasted about 3 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So once tearing out the suspension I decided, may as well powder coat it all while it was out. I ordered new 550# springs for the front and a 360# mono leaf for the rear from VBP with QA1s all around. Stayed with rubber bushings and went with all USA made MOOG parts for the ball joints, etc. Also bought new brake kit, drilled and slotter rotors, replacement stainless steel sleeved calipers and pads (at this point, I still wanted to be able to run the factory wheels, went and bought a new set of BFGs for it too) Dont really have great pictures of this stuff, but here are a few.

Went with the Van Steel offset trailing arms too, in the quest for bigger tires. I had not discovered CIC Flares yet...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
looks like a fun project. Whatever problems you run into, post them up here. Somebody has been there already.
Take lots of photos and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Call me subscribed! You are SO not going to regret this swap! Take your time, and get familiar with ltswap.com. They have a plethora of info and will allow you take advantage and implement many of the abilities of having a computer monitor engine functions as well as getting them seamlessly functioning with many of the C3 outdated controls. There's a lot more available than most care to implement into their builds. Might as well take advantage of the technology.
When I see an LS swap with a carburetor, I can't help but quietly roll my eyes...:surprised
Also, I'm noting little things like doing your research into silly things like ball joints and tie rod ends tells me you've done your homework. Do it once right and never look back! (It also helps to NOT keep tabs on parts bills). After all, you REALLY don't want to know how much your spending anyway, now do you? LOL! :rolling:

In closing, I'm super excited about your build!

You'll have to PM me. We'll get together and do lunch sometime:cheers:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
one thing I realized after I started mine is that _IF_ I really wanted to know how much I spent on the project I would have just gotten a separate credit card for the car. I had no idea how far I was going to take this, how long it would take, and also how much the little things like screws, AN fittings, electrical connections, etc. add up to. I still don't know and that is probably for the best because that means my wife does not either.
BUT, if you really want to know, I think that would have been the way to go.
I was born in Tulsa and lived in Norman as a kid. Every winter I wonder how the hell i wound up in Iowa.
looking forward to watching your progress...

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
This is a BAD project to take if you are counting beans. To take on a job of this magnitude you must accept that there are other things in life more important than money and that money itself is not an end but rather means to an end.

We take projects like this because we love to build and create. And as long as we keep our focus on that there will be nothing but joy the entire build process. If we go into a project like this worried about total cost or resale value then we are in for nothing but headaches and frustration

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patro, honored by your interest, if mine can turn out a fraction as good as yours I will be happy. Just know that you have an open invitation to lunch here anytime, my treat.

You guys are right, on tracking costs, these things always add up faster than you want them to. I will track costs, because its just in my nature, I was a CPA in a former profession, so like every project I do, its getting a binder and spreadsheet. But I know full well what happens with the budget on these builds.

Im not thinking its as huge a magniture progect as maybe I should, but I have done engine swaps before, just not in the LS series, so there is a learning curve, but having having a LS3 in the c6 and LQ4 in my suburban, I do have some familiarity with them and have been impressed.

Autowiz, its funny you say what you did about liking build and create, very true in my case. I am acutally a general contractor and custom home builder, so I get to create things in my day job too, just different media. If I ever hit the lotto, I would open a hot rod shop, just for the fun of it. But yes, my cars are my hobby, not investments, but actually depreciating assests, I have no illusions there.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Bringing these cars back is a noble effort.

The only real way to get your moneys worth is to "enjoy the hell out of driving it like you stole it". :cheers:

Scaring the crap out of passengers also has worth. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
FAIR warning...Stay AWAY from Patro

If you hang out w/ Him-First it'll be just a LS... next thing you know it'll be a supercharger....

You ought to make it to OKC in a few weeks for the Hotrod Power Tour...You see everything you every wanted to see w/ LS motors...

I'll be there...allegedly Pat will be too.

Richard

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
FAIR warning...Stay AWAY from Patro

If you hang out w/ Him-First it'll be just a LS... next thing you know it'll be a supercharger....

You ought to make it to OKC in a few weeks for the Hotrod Power Tour...You see everything you every wanted to see w/ LS motors...

I'll be there...allegedly Pat will be too.

Richard
We are really down to the wire on this supercharger build. The good news is the supercharger is now completely installed and all the mechanical gremlins are worked out, and now we are down to a rather challenging tune. As it stands, my son and I are still planning on picking up the tour in Oklahoma City. Can't wait to finally meet you and a few others Richard!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
10seconds,

I have the same motor and Trans along with all possible accessories including the pedal set. I'm thinking of including all in my up coming auction but I would like to get a real feel for the value. Can you tell me what you paid? If you want you can PM me. Thanks, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No progress on the car itself today but did go pick up the engine and transmission today, so its at least in my garage at home now.

10seconds,

I have the same motor and Trans along with all possible accessories including the pedal set. I'm thinking of including all in my up coming auction but I would like to get a real feel for the value. Can you tell me what you paid? If you want you can PM me. Thanks, I appreciate your help!
Sure, I never get why people play hide the ball with numbers on forums from people they will likely never meet. I gave $4000 For it with everything except the pedal which he forgot. I thougt it was a good deal. Want to sell your pedal?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The great thing about an LS engine is they just get broke in real good at about 100k. That leaves a great many miles of fun that most C3's will never have the opportunity to truly appreciate.

What going to help you big time is not having to source parts, sensors and various connectors. The way you bought it, (less pedal of course) sure makes it a LOT easier. Add a small fuse panel and volo. Pretty much plug and play.

IF you go into the engine at all, the one 100 dollar upgrade I'd be sure and replace is the oil pump, and I'd use a Mellings. That's the kind of insurance that pays for itself.

Now that you have the bird in hand.......;):partyon::D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You are about to embark upon a jouney that, like Brent said, you're better off not tracking the expense of your build and just build the car as you see fit with no short cuts and following up with all the litle details that will eat away at the funds, but will also be the difference between a build you're proud of vs one you wish you made better choices with for the final build results.
You're going to run into several moments of "while I here, I may as well go the extra distance".

Now like Patro said , you will not be sorry that you did an Ls swap in your C3, it makes these cars so much more enjoyable. I did my LS swap a few years ago at twice the cost it should have cost me because of a bad bottom end but even so, I am not sorry for taking the plunge, every time I take my car out, the ride melts away my accumulated stress, as the LS stroker melts away the rear tires.

You will find here at DC,that there is a family of very intelligent, super helpful people, ready to help in any way they can, I along with many others are Looking forward to following your jouney.

Let the fun begin.

Terry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for all the encouragement. I have crossed the point of no return today, or what feels like it anyways - the old motor is out of the car!

Time for lots of cleaning and some paint. On my 1978 Trans Am build I went crazy at this step and smoothed out everything in the engine compartment and firewall. Im not doing that here, this will be a driver. This is going to get cleaned and black semi-gloss and thats it. I want to be back on the road this summer and making it into a show car isnt in the cards.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts