Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, sorry for the length I just want to be thorough. Today I decided to wash my car so I started it up and drove into the driveway and shut it off. I then washed it just like I always have (careful not to get the opti wet). This is when things start to get weird. While I was cleaning the interior my gauges and door lights lit up as they do if I put the key into the ignition and turn it on, only my key wasn't in the ignition. I grabbed my key and put it in the ignition and turned it to start it up thinking i'd start it and shut it down and take they key out hoping the lights would go out.

It started up fine and shut off after about 3 seconds (as it would if I turned it off with the key). I tried again and the same thing happened. While it was running those 3 seconds it was smooth and it all felt fine until it shut off. I decided to disconnect the battery and let it sit for a bit to see if maybe I did get something wet by accident and let it dry out but same result. It's not showing any codes and from what i've read it looks like it could be something electrical but I really don't know. This is the first time it has happened since i've had the car which is about a year. If anyone has suggestions on what to look for or needs any more info i'd appreciate the help. :huh:

1996 Lt4
122k miles
Battery is 1 year old

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
...sounds like you may have gotten a connection wet....if you
have a second key try it (not sure if 96 is like a 92)..just a thought....:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...sounds like you may have gotten a connection wet....if you
have a second key try it (not sure if 96 is like a 92)..just a thought....:D
Thanks for the input, I thought about that but it's a daily driver and have definately driven through some nasty storms and puddles without any problems so i'm not sure. Any idea as to why the interior lights and gauges would come on without the key in the ignition? It didn't do that until about 20 mins after I had dried the car already.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would be suspicious of water wicking down the wire harness into the bulkhead connection or into the fuse box.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be suspicious of water wicking down the wire harness into the bulkhead connection or into the fuse box.
That's a possibility, I left it alone since it was getting dark and didn't feel like messing with it. I'll see if anything changes when everything has dried out in the morning. :cheers:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...you just might check for a faulty ground also, really reads
like a bad connection somewhere down the line to me....:D
Thanks alot, i've been doing alot of reading about this and that will be one of the first things I check. I hope it's something simple like that haha. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went back out to start it and same thing happened. Anytime I reconnect the battery all of the gauges and center console lights come on and now the door ajar chime goes off with both doors shut. It also sounds like the fuel pump or something is coming on whenever the car battery is reconnected. It's like the car thinks the key is turned on acc. even when the key isn't even in the ignition. Any more ideas? I don't have a code reader and can't drive it to get them checked so maybe i'll have to just go pick one up. :spanked:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out and picked up a code reader. It shows 0 codes but my battery has been disconnected and reconnected since yesterday. Would that stop any current codes from showing or just the stop check engine light from coming on for a few miles?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
....when I had a lot of dumb things going wrong with mine
I went and replaced my ECU...all my problems went away...:D
Yeah I hear ya, the problem is i'm a full time college student and it's my dd so i'd rather not just start throwing parts at it instead of figuring out exactly why it's doing this. The problem is electrical problems have never been my strong point and this car sure likes to throw them at me haha.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I thought i'd give those interested an update. I gave up on this problem (mostly due to all of the holiday feasts and feeling lazy as well as the cold weather :laughing:) and ended up having it towed to a shop yesterday and drove it home today. Apparently my battery was almost dead and everytime I tried to start the car the security system would kick in and shut it off. Now, it seems that I have a pretty healthy drain somewhere because the batter is only a year old . I have read that low voltage can cause the electronics to do funny things and I guess this was one of them? They said they "reset" the security system and that it could happen again if it sits and the battery goes dead. I don't know how accurate that information is but I do know that i've driven it a few times today and everything seems back to normal so now it's time to figure out where this drain is coming from :thud:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts