Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a thousand posts similar to my problem but I am not sure if my one small detail may make any difference to the problem or solution concerning troubleshooting it...
2002 C5 Vette convertible manual transmission base model will crank up most times the first try (98%)? and will not at random. I've swapped out the battery and have jumped it off before also- that seems not to really have an impact on my success. The difference of detail that I referred to earlier is that when I'm trying to crank up the car, (always in neutral), is that if I have the key in the cranking position and I THEN push the clutch in, appx 3/4 of the way down I hear one faint click from the passenger floorboard, only after the click would it crank up, Im sure its just making sure the clutch is engaged but I wanted to note that small detail that I have not seen in previous forms. Yes, I always try and crank it up with the clutch always to the floor but Ive played with it before with random luck, Some times if I play with the key, it cranks, sometimes if I play with the clutch while holding the key in start, it cranks, sometimes after waiting a while, it cranks, I tried my spare key for the first time in years, after having this problem this morning, it cranked up first time with the spare so I had another key ordered today but Im still feeling that will not be the answer to the problem. (Best of my memory the spare key also gave me the same issue a long time ago) One post I read suggested replacing the ignition switch and I did that (not the cylinder, just the main bulky switch itself) and it worked like a champ for a week then it reared it ugly head again. For reference, I do always drive with the traction control, active handling turned off as it will randomly engage itself a tiny bit when Im driving if I leave it on pulling the car slightly one way for a second. To cut that out I just drive with that off and randomly it (either traction control turned on or off) will say 'service active handling, service traction control,' and 'routine service soon" or however that last one is phrased. Ive heard the BCM may have a snowballs chance of giving an ignition problem but Im just not aware as to how. Anyways- sorry for the long post but any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot this ignition issue? Thank you for any advice or help with this!

·
Registered
1966 Coupe 454/538hp 4spd of course; 1984 Z51, built 11/83, Blue w/Black Leather factory override..
12,230 Posts
Always starts with pulling any DTC's. If you don't have a reader, AutoZone runs it for free.

C'ya

·
Registered
1966 Coupe 454/538hp 4spd of course; 1984 Z51, built 11/83, Blue w/Black Leather factory override..
12,230 Posts
I haven't talked to her about a relationship since I asked her out back in February, so I'm planning on just being close friends with her until our last semester of high school runs out, and then talk to her about it one last time. Maybe sometime after our prom night.
Put her in park, rev up your RPM's, then take her for a nice smooth ride. If her headlights come on, she's ready to be floored. Keep us posted...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts