Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all these kill stories ive had an itch to race someone, win or loose just to experience it, the problem is I never run into anyone who wants a peice, only 4 door mercedes and bimmer who i let go because they start weaving violently through traffic like i have coodies or something.

After rolling meadows on friday i got on the tollway saw my opening and took her to 120 real quick then settled at 70, i dont like speeding excessively at night as i cant spot the cops as quickly. so now im going with the flow of traffic and something comes up up my butt, switches lanes and creeps past. its a civic like from the fast and the furious, except this one was all worn out and was only loud because of a broken muffler, i hear a double downshift and he starts to go. too lazy to downshift my self i keep pace with him in 6th, we're at like 90 now judging by the wind from having the top off, we run into some other cars on the road to he slows to come in behind me in the left lane, by about 95 the V1 freaks out, i jump to the middle lane and reduce speed to 60 mph but the little civic that could kept the pedal pinned and passed me at 100+. Unfortuneatly for him a few cars up was copper in a plain wrapper who gave the young race car driver a light show he'll never forget, as i passed i waved to thank the officer for this public service.

a few miles after a black and very nice looking supra came speeding on from the highway, judging by the amount of noise and lack of speed all he had was a catback and maybe an intake. i would have shown him taillights but there were too many cars and my exit was coming up...it would have been a fun little run.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
nice job on keeping it safe:thumbsup:

·
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice job on keeping it safe:thumbsup:
i try to, i mean theres something wrong with you if you dont speed in a vette, every time i get in the car is telling me "go go go" and i have to respond "no no no" i like agressive driving, passing people and making good time, but im not into the whole cutting people off to prove a point, thats just being wreckless and unsafe.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
i try to, i mean theres something wrong with you if you dont speed in a vette, every time i get in the car is telling me "go go go" and i have to respond "no no no" i like agressive driving, passing people and making good time, but im not into the whole cutting people off to prove a point, thats just being wreckless and unsafe.
:agree:

but i have to keep it pretty close to the posted speed limit cuz i don't have a radar detector(i want one so bad)

btw i saw your car at the chi town kruze it looked :smokin:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've had a very similar experience myself.

A detector by itself wont' keep you out of trouble, but it should be part of your arsenal. There's also a great book written by a former trooper called "The Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Traffic Tickets." It's about how not to get them in the first place (if you must speed), not about how to get out of them.

·
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to avoid speeding tickets heres what i do:

never speed excessively at night

if you see s cluster of cars behind you or ahead of you going slow there is prolly a cop

never speed through sn intersection where you are very visible

cop cars are usually black or white so dont pass black or white sedans unless you can confirm a non police vehicle

any other tips would be appreciated

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've had a very similar experience myself.

A detector by itself wont' keep you out of trouble, but it should be part of your arsenal. There's also a great book written by a former trooper called "The Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Traffic Tickets." It's about how not to get them in the first place (if you must speed), not about how to get out of them.

Im not up on the latest tech stuff. So besides a detector and a cb what else is there?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice

I need a radar detector also, torch red says give me a ticket at 20mph. I want a stealth one, eventually i will figure out what i will do. Also it was nice meeting everyone Friday night.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I need a radar detector also, torch red says give me a ticket at 20mph. I want a stealth one, eventually i will figure out what i will do. Also it was nice meating everyone Friday night.:thumbsup:
I'm guessing that you mean it was nice " meeting " everyone , as in shaking hands . If not , then you guys must be having some WILD parties on friday nights ! [ and why wasn't I invited ? ] . :surprised

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah

Yes, shaking hands. Let clarify that one more time shaking hands. Better yet, let me edit that right now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I figured that you might want to edit that one . But , it was funnier the old way . It was just too good of an opportunity to not take a friendly jab at you . Thanks for being such a good sport . [ so , I guess there's no party next friday night ? I have spent the last hour packing the car for the six hour drive to Chicago ] . Best wishes , Larry :laughing: :partyon:
BTW , I also have a torch red C5 .

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Im not up on the latest tech stuff. So besides a detector and a cb what else is there?
A firm understanding of local traffic law, police shift schedules, co-pilot with night vision goggles, spread out driving teams with encrypted 2-way . . . mostly human stuff after detectors and cbs. This is cannonball type stuff and not the level I operate at. I stick to some fairly basic statistical enhancers:

ON AVERAGE
- There are fewer cops on the road at night than during the day.
- Fewer still on weekends
- They tend to give more tickets at the beginning and end of the month, rather than the middle.
- X-mas day is the best day of the year for adventuresome driving.
- ALWAYS be scanning the rear view mirror, situational awareness is everything
- Short blasts rather than extended hi-speed runs; reduces exposure.

If you do get pulled over, you can still enhance your odds of a warning vs. ticket. (Depending o what you were doing.)
- Know how to pull over to diffuse tension. For example, at night turn on your dome light and signal that you acknowledge you're being pulled over.
- Pull over only on a safe shoulder as FAR to the right as possible, so he can use is squad car to block.

There really is a lot to it. Of course abstinence works every time it's tried, but I think we all know how tough that can be . . . sometimes you just gotta hit it. :cheers: :devil: :partyon: :rolling:

·
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A firm understanding of local traffic law, police shift schedules, co-pilot with night vision goggles, spread out driving teams with encrypted 2-way . . . mostly human stuff after detectors and cbs. This is cannonball type stuff and not the level I operate at. I stick to some fairly basic statistical enhancers:

ON AVERAGE
- There are fewer cops on the road at night than during the day.
- Fewer still on weekends
- They tend to give more tickets at the beginning and end of the month, rather than the middle.
- X-mas day is the best day of the year for adventuresome driving.
- ALWAYS be scanning the rear view mirror, situational awareness is everything
- Short blasts rather than extended hi-speed runs; reduces exposure.

If you do get pulled over, you can still enhance your odds of a warning vs. ticket. (Depending o what you were doing.)
- Know how to pull over to diffuse tension. For example, at night turn on your dome light and signal that you acknowledge you're being pulled over.
- Pull over only on a safe shoulder as FAR to the right as possible, so he can use is squad car to block.

There really is a lot to it. Of course abstinence works every time it's tried, but I think we all know how tough that can be . . . sometimes you just gotta hit it. :cheers: :devil: :partyon: :rolling:
also being nice helps, i was in the middle of a feild of a forest preserve when the red and blue came, acted nice and drove away in my own car

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
also being nice helps, i was in the middle of a feild of a forest preserve when the red and blue came, acted nice and drove away in my own car
Absolutely, but it's gotta be sincere. Cops are excellent readers of people and have very little tolerance for B.S. The book I mentioned spends a lot of time on the psychology of an officer pulling a motorist over. It's fascinating just from a psychological point of view.

I do want to point out I'm not advocating frequent intense speeding. But if you're going to speed (and most of us here are), there are times and places where we're really only a danger to ourselves and methods of substantially reducing (not eliminating) the risk of getting a ticket.

·
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Absolutely, but it's gotta be sincere. Cops are excellent readers of people and have very little tolerance for B.S. The book I mentioned spends a lot of time on the psychology of an officer pulling a motorist over. It's fascinating just from a psychological point of view.

I do want to point out I'm not advocating frequent intense speeding. But if you're going to speed (and most of us here are), there are times and places where we're really only a danger to ourselves and methods of substantially reducing (not eliminating) the risk of getting a ticket.
i respect what they do, and i know they get alot of crud from the people they protect

·
Registered
956 Posts
to avoid speeding tickets heres what i do:

never speed excessively at night

if you see s cluster of cars behind you or ahead of you going slow there is prolly a cop

never speed through sn intersection where you are very visible

cop cars are usually black or white so dont pass black or white sedans unless you can confirm a non police vehicle

any other tips would be appreciated
Here's typically what I follow:
-Don't speed where you can't see. This includes the night, hill tops, blind curves, and intersections. Furthermore, look as far ahead of possible so you can be constantly scanning the horizon of the road.
-Always watch the cars in front of you. They'll tell you what's coming up if you learn to read them. I.E., Brake lights from multiple cars near a blind area in the road (hill top, curve) usually signal police or other hazard you should be slowing down for anyways.
-Avoid speeding in areas you're not familiar with the patrol patterns.
-Learn to quickly spot police cars (Extra antennas, lights hidden in back window or radiator inlet, police rims, etc.). If in your particular area, learn what the undercover cars look like. They're all different colors where I live and they use different model cars (Impalas, crown Vics, and Chargers).

·
Registered
403 Posts
i respect what they do, and i know they get alot of crud from the people they protect

Alot of people don't realize pulling someone over is one of the most dangerous parts of being a cop.

That stress alone can't be easy to deal with as your walking up to someone.

And people wonder why the cop seams like a hardass when he comes to your window.

The look I get when I explain it to people is amazing. They don't realize that poor guy is walking up to a perfectly strange car that could have some gun happy gang banger, or nervous crack head in it.

And if it does, he isn't going to know it till its practically too late.

Rick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts