Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I start putting the steering back together this afternoon to get a jump on Saturdays chore, and almost finished. :thumbsup: While installing my rebuilt steer control valve on my rebuilt box, with the rebuilt column, I look at the ram cylinder, and it's moving in and out of the frame bracket about 1/2".:WTF

Does anyone know the part#, or if GM still has this, or a sub that will work. It's all that's keeping the car off the road.:D :cheers:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think that Chevrolet just "forgot" about that part number. It is still an active part number at GMPartsDirect.com. That usually means that it is available through GM dealers.

The reason that I say that Chevrolet just "forgot" about the part is that a service part that was $1.47 in the 1970s would be at least $14 today the way the GM Service Parts Division increases their selling prices evey couple months. I find bolts that Saginaw used to buy for $0.25 being sold through GM Service Parts for $7.00!!!!!

Jim

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
i don't get why they used those rubber bushings anyway. I always crank down hard enough on mine so that i essentially have metal to metal contact.

Seems to me the rubber makes a sloppy steering system worse than it actually is.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The bushings are probably to isolate hydraulic flow noises from being transmitted from the booster into the frame.
Jim

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't get why they used those rubber bushings anyway. I always crank down hard enough on mine so that i essentially have metal to metal contact.

Seems to me the rubber makes a sloppy steering system worse than it actually is.
I have to agree. I am going to get the GM parts today to get back on the road. Afterwards, I'll find a urethane shock mount I can drill out to replace them with. :thumbsup: The steering cylinder is two years old. That means those bushings did not last two years. :WTF

·
Registered
333 Posts
The most likly reason the bushing is still available is that it is still being used elsewhere in current production. A good parts dept could do a search and tell you what other vehicles use it.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most likly reason the bushing is still available is that it is still being used elsewhere in current production. A good parts dept could do a search and tell you what other vehicles use it.
Well, Selman Chevrolet was out of stock. But, they showed stock at Cadillac. Hmmm?!? So, on the way down there, calling on the cell phone, realising they were closed, I turned into Danchuck's 55-57 parts place. Turns out their part #011 is the same. So, my 81 Vette has a part designed in 1955, the year I was born.:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Gene. Those are poly

INteresting....you know, I think I tried a set of Poly off a sway bar?? something like that, they didn't seem to do too good....

GAD, you making me scratch my ass over this memory crap, that I can't remember...:crazy: :WTF ...but YES, I did do that too....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts