Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt my steering box last night with the guidance of Gary and Jim Shea's excellent writings.

A sincere thank you to those gentlemen for taking the time to pass along all that information, it was invaluable.

When I set the gear lash I was struck by how small the needed adjustments to the lash screw were. My first measurement was 7 in-lbs over center; I turned the lash adjuster screw probably less than a full turn, and...22 in-lbs! I backed it off to about 10 in-lbs, and it took less than 1/4 turn to dial in 14 in-lbs, where I left it.

I questioned the advice I got after I bought the car (in 2008) not to mess with the lash screw while the box was in the car...I figured the teeth have opposing tapers, the box is designed to have the lash adjusted out, right? Anyway, I never messed with it, and now I'm glad I didn't. I have no doubt I'd have over-tightened the lash adjuster with the sector off center and trashed my gears. Just my 2c, YMMV.

All I need now is some nice weather...

Chris

· Banned
7,797 Posts
got plenty of that here for ya, mid 80's today, been 70's the last 2 weeks hehehe

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's still on the bench, no problem to change it. The instructions I have are yours, they say 11 to 14. The GM manual says 16 max, and I was below 10 off of center, so I set it for 14 over center. Let me know please, and thanks again

· Supporting Vendor
3,806 Posts
It's still on the bench, no problem to change it. The instructions I have are yours, they say 11 to 14. The GM manual says 16 max, and I was below 10 off of center, so I set it for 14 over center. Let me know please, and thanks again
Set the total on center to 11.5-12 max. Should be 7 over the preload setting. Typically over tightening will roll the center tooth in time and the lash will open up. Many of the boxes I get in are shot because of this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.