Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering didn't get any better after just changing the bearings/seals and some other small stuff.

My sector and worm gear in the steering box are worn.
I think I have to change them, as my threads on the top screw are not seen anymore.
There are to much lash.....

I have found a worm gear from a older C2 -68 Corvette.
Will this fit in my -71 C3 stock steering box?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
The steering didn't get any better after just changing the bearings/seals and some other small stuff.

My sector and worm gear in the steering box are worn.
I think I have to change them, as my threads on the top screw are not seen anymore.
There are to much lash.....

I have found a worm gear from a older C2 -68 Corvette.
Will this fit in my -71 C3 stock steering box?
The 63-E69 used a fine ful spine. The L69-82's used a coarse spline with a flat milled into it. The rags are different. If you use a 67-E69 rag you can use the gears. However, the earlier cars were mostly manual and the boxes are worn more. If it were me or a box I was rebuilding I'd use new gears. You may endup with another set of junk gears.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I have found a worm gear from a older C2 -68 Corvette....
Uh....a '68 is not a C2.

Why not bite the bullet and purchase a rebuilt steering box? Use the one you have for a core for the exchange. The rebuilt unit will solve your problems in one shot.

:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Uh....a '68 is not a C2.

Why not bite the bullet and purchase a rebuilt steering box? Use the one you have for a core for the exchange. The rebuilt unit will solve your problems in one shot.

:thumbsup:
68 boxes are the same as the 63-67. Exchanging the box for the commonly advertised ones may not solve the problem- I've had several sent to me that guys bought that were worse then their originals. The best option is to rebuild the original box- it may cost a little more but it is the way to go.
I've seen several "rebuilt" boxes that were nothing more then a paint job and over full of grease

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a chance and replaced everything except the sector and worm gear
Referering to Murphys law, it was just the two parts that I didn't change that was causing mostly of the the steering lash.

Gary:
What part is more common to be worn, sector or worm gear or is it a combination of both of them?

Is it possible to combine sectors and worm gears from different gerboxes and find a nonlash combination?
Or this just a stupid idea?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
They both wear so it all comes down to each box. The majority of wear is on the pitman shaft center tooth. If you have access to some others try and see. If I have one like that I replace them. I've found some worms with worn ball guides will lock up. I worked one back and forth 30 times then it locked up, freed itself and locked again in 20-40 times. I replaced the gears and solved the problem.
There are more then one supplier for the gears and they are not all the same quality so be very careful if shopping around of what you get.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Lonestar Musclecar sells them for $200 shipped to yer door, plus a $50 refundable core. Had one put in just this weekend and she drives sooooo :partyon: sweet. I had no idea what I was missing, it's drives that good. I had TONS of slop too, from the 10 o'clock to the 1 o'clock position I had nothing but once a hair past either it was sudden steering. Kinda tricky/scary to drive sometimes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Steering box

:thumbsup: Look in the vette mags. for NEW from the manufacturer steering boxes. I purchased a new one for about $175 (a while back) and it was like night and day. Go new and you can't go wrong. PS didn't even have to send a core.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts