Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all of a sudden the other day the steering got a little stiffer and tighter feeling and more stable but less linear off center. I think it was right after i stopped at the corner store and had the wheel cranked all the way over.

It feels like i've got too much toe in. I know what that feels like because i've adjusted it that way before.

Then it loosens up and acts normal for a while. Then it goes back to the tight feel after i crank the wheel all the way over some times.

I've looked at things and everything looks tight.

I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Do you have stock tie rods? They can skip threads easily. And it sounds like yours does it often so there probably aren't very many left. :surprised

Get some heavy duty ones from vbandp or speedway.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I'm willing to bet tie rods also, with the spit ends and the little c clamps around it, if the clamp is loose it indeed is easy to skip threads, especially if worn out. Better check it before you hurt yourself.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm willing to bet tie rods also, with the spit ends and the little c clamps around it, if the clamp is loose it indeed is easy to skip threads, especially if worn out. Better check it before you hurt yourself.

I don't think so. i've got the VBP tube shafts. If something was broke it'd seem to me that it would be loose and constantly changing its feel.

i do have some play in the wheel bearings that has been developing over the last few years that i can't seem to adjust out. The bearings are adjusted pretty tight with some preload but pushing in of the top of the tire produces some slight feeling of play. i'm wondering if my spindle shafts are worn.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
if correctly adjusted the wheel bearings always feel a little loose when cold. it'll tighten right up when they get warm. I doubt it's the wheel bearings. It could be an issue with the assit unit or the valve (or even the pump), changes in assist can make the steering feel very funky.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sometimes if you cramp the steering all the way into the corner and hold it there for a few seconds, you can cause some air to become entrained in the fluid. That can cause somewhat erratic power assist until the air works itself back out of the fluid.

Jim

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
i do have some play in the wheel bearings that has been developing over the last few years that i can't seem to adjust out. The bearings are adjusted pretty tight with some preload but pushing in of the top of the tire produces some slight feeling of play. i'm wondering if my spindle shafts are worn.
Did you listen to the guy that said torque them to 100 pounds :laughing:

I've seen spindles go for 25 each on ebay. And I bet they have at least half the miles yours have.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Sometimes if you cramp the steering all the way into the corner and hold it there for a few seconds, you can cause some air to become entrained in the fluid. That can cause somewhat erratic power assist until the air works itself back out of the fluid.

Jim
That makes as much sense as anything. Thanks Jim. Good to know.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts