Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have my steering column rebuilt on my 72, it looks like a task I don't want to undertake, but also don't want to spend a fortune on rebuilding if I can buy a new or rebuilt column.
Can anyone recommend a inexpensive and reliable rebuilder (I know sometimes inexpensive & reliable don't go together)
Alex

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I need to have my steering column rebuilt on my 72, it looks like a task I don't want to undertake, but also don't want to spend a fortune on rebuilding if I can buy a new or rebuilt column.
Can anyone recommend a inexpensive and reliable rebuilder (I know sometimes inexpensive & reliable don't go together)
Alex
A couple years ago I rebuilt the tilt/telescope steering column in my 81. I found a wealth of information from the Jim Shea Steering Papers. I believe Jim is on this forum, his catalog of papers can be found at www.corvettefaq.com although you will have to do a little clicking around to gather them all up. I believe Jim Shea is retired from Saginaw Steering. His papers have more information than I've ever found anywhere else. I just downloaded most of them and sorted them out on my computer.

Parts can be a little hard to come by depending on what you need. Some are readily available, some are not. I had a heck of a time finding a new turn signal lever, the PO had sawed it off to mount an aftermarket cruise control. I had good luck buying parts from Steering Column Services. They were in Utah but I think they have since relocated to Albuquerque NM. That's the only parts supplier I have any experience with. I believe they also offer rebuilding services.

Not sure what is wrong with your column, but many times it isn't as messed up as you think. Turn signal switch problems are the most common and are not terribly difficult to repair. Usually a new switch assembly solves the problem. If you have a good degree of mechanical ability and don't get frustrated easily, then rebuilding your own column is in scope. If you doubt your ability then by all means search for a reputable rebuilder. One caution when removing/installing the column: I've been told one of the worst things you can do is to drop the column on the steering box end. There are some plastic "pins" or something inside the column that support the collapsible portion of the column and if they are sheared off there is no repair. I don't know if this is true, but I wouldn't take the chance! Point is, handle and pack carefully.

One last thing, there is a lot of talk about the rag joint that connects the steering column to the box. The quality of the reproductions range from fair to crap. Be careful on these, buy from someone reputable. There was someone on this forum that had some NOS items at one time and seems like they also offered rebuilding service for the power steering components. I don't believe they offered column rebuilding but I could be wrong. Can't remember their name but would be worth searching for.

Anyway, this is one area where price should not be a concern, find something else to save money on. I bought a rag joint rebuild kit and it was very disappointing. Sketchy quality on the components and VERY difficult to assemble. I do not recommend a rag joint rebuild kit. In the end, my build went in a different direction and I wound up installing a Steeroids rack and pinion so I never did find a good rag joint.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ending up buying a used column from Gary Cranbranski in Forrest Hill MD and rebuilt it myself, turns out it's not that complicated if you follow instructions and have the right tools, really wanted a tilt/telescopic but couldn't find one at a decent price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts