Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing the rack on my '69 spare frame, and I'm curious what the weight difference will be. All the old stuff will stay on the old frame (and I don't want to disassemble it all just to weigh it and put it back on) so I'm curious what the total weight of the steering box and ram is. The rack I'm installing is 14 pounds. I'll be retaining the stock pump, so I don't need that information. Anybody have these parts laying around that could give me a measurement?

thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
The old stock steering box/coupler, large cross link, and ilder arm, with pitman arms weigh just about exactly 30 lbs total.....I can't find the frame support, and old steering ram....figger 10 lbs there....

:cheers:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The old stock steering box/coupler, large cross link, and ilder arm, with pitman arms weigh just about exactly 30 lbs total.....I can't find the frame support, and old steering ram....figger 10 lbs there....

:cheers:
I appreciate it. I spaced out and forgot to include the weights of the steering arms too. Thanks for being a little more awake than I am today.

thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, it looks like I'm going to end up dropping about 25# net off the front end due to the steering components. This is in addition to the 60# that the C4 suspension drops compared to the C3 suspension. That's roughly a 5% reduction in the frontend weight of the car. Excellent!
Thanks for the info, guys. It's greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts