Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I am at Darrows house workin on the 74 BB.

He installed a rebuilt power steer control valve from VBandP, new hoses, pump, yada, yada. The wheel shudders when straight or turning. Ideas?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
did you adjust the valve so the ram gives no assist on center?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Bubbles?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Have you tried bleeding the system by turning with the engine not running?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
May be a bad valve if you balanced it and still have problems. Was it new or rebuilt? Rebuilt ones are sometimes a problem. The lines are installed correctly, right? Usually working the steering from lock to lock with the engine off and pump cap off will bleed the system. Some new hoses are shorter too so be sure you don't have one that is pinched.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Did it all no workey

Patty from vbp is sending a replacement asap

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Did it all no workey

Patty from vbp is sending a replacement asap

Thanks guys.
that sucks to have to do that twice. It would be nice if VBP provided a report when they tear the thing down. Probably a sticky valve...something has a nick on it in there.

Hey, send the bird down to my house. I need a bunch of work done.:laughing: :whip:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yea he is a good worker, we accomplished a lot today and he is really good with the dizzy, But I don,t know about the dwell meters.
I sure he will be on in a while. stay tuned.

·
Registered
658 Posts
May be a bad valve if you balanced it and still have problems. Was it new or rebuilt? Rebuilt ones are sometimes a problem. The lines are installed correctly, right? Usually working the steering from lock to lock with the engine off and pump cap off will bleed the system. Some new hoses are shorter too so be sure you don't have one that is pinched.
Yea it was a rebuilt all the hoses and other parts are good.
vb was very good about making it right.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yea it was a rebuilt all the hoses and other parts are good.
vb was very good about making it right.
Did you take it off yet? If not, wait until tomorrow.

Could be air in the system. Turn the steering wheel to the left and let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Could be air in the system. Turn the steering wheel to the left and let it sit overnight.
I will try it. But this is the second time it had been drained and refilled I installed a new pump.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea he is a good worker, we accomplished a lot today and he is really good with the dizzy, But I don,t know about the dwell meters.
I sure he will be on in a while. stay tuned.
FYI. I stopped and bought a new one on the way home. :nuts:

I went crazy today trying to set Darrows dwell and timing, untill we bought another one, and found my old ones were trash.:rolling:

Darrow showed a great deal of patience, and the bottom line, car runs good.
Steering valve is ****. VBandP is shipping a new one gratis.
Now about the clutch............................

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that sucks to have to do that twice. It would be nice if VBP provided a report when they tear the thing down. Probably a sticky valve...something has a nick on it in there.

Hey, send the bird down to my house. I need a bunch of work done.:laughing: :whip:
What can you ship me? UPS overnight for a C-3, should be about 3,000.:rolling:

·
Registered
658 Posts
whats a good brand any # for a new clutch

·
Registered
658 Posts
FYI. I stopped and bought a new one on the way home. :nuts:

I went crazy today trying to set Darrows dwell and timing, untill we bought another one, and found my old ones were trash.:rolling:

Darrow showed a great deal of patience, and the bottom line, car runs good.
Steering valve is ****. VBandP is shipping a new one gratis.
Now about the clutch............................

found that brake filler (n cheper same unit) at summitt may order the clutch also soon as I no whitch one to order.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You could always go to SEARS, get a box for a refrigerator, pack Bird (don't forget to include a small cooler with some snacks and beer) and ship him. That'll be cheaper than shipping the Vette.

And don't forget-- he's got a shiny NEW dwell meter!!

:rolling:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts

That happened on my stock valve replacement years ago, and on the more recent rack install 6 years ago....part of the nature of this stuff, and again on the H Boost install...let it sit overnight, and it's fine by morning, soon as you turn it from left to right all the way for one complete cycle....

and in the HB thing hit the brakes 3-4 times....

Smokin is right....

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts