Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
If you are going to be pulling and re-installing the slave cylinder yourself, you should consider rebuilding it yourself. Rebuild kits are available at reasonable prices, and step-by-step instructions are plentiful on the net. Pull the cylinder, disassemble and check the condition of the parts. If it looks good, you can buy a rebuild kit, needed tools (snap ring pliers etc) and paint for less than you'd spend on a reman. You'll know it's done right, plus you can use the tools and paint again. I just did this as part of a front suspension rebuild and it is not complicated. My 2c

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. After I remove it I may take it apart. The car has been in storage for a while. When I started it, the fluid was leaking out badly. I will need to view old one first. Thanks for your reply.

· Registered
356 Posts
You can only replace the external seals on the power steering ram. In your case that may be enough. If the piston binds or has a lot of pitting you will be better off getting another cylinder. You can't get to the internals of the ram without cutting it apart.

VB&P sells a stainless insert for the PS ram but you would need the tools and talent to install it.

:cheers:

Rick B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.