Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to back out of my garage today in my 02' zo6 but my steering wheel would not unlock! The dash display says "service column lock". I checked the manual and it just tells you to "tow the car to the dealer for service". whats going on here and can i fix it at home?

·
Registered
402 Posts
C5 Corvettes have a solenoid that controls the steering column locking pin. Sometimes it gets stuck. This is a common failure in C5 Corvettes. My 2001 did it. You can un jam it by vigorously shaking the steering wheel left and right while cycling the ignition switch on and off. You'll know you succeeded in shaking it loose when the wheel turns.

This failure is common enough that Corvettes of Houston sells a column lock bypass kit for $45.

Check out this thread:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76632&highlight=clb

Same thing happened to another member recently.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Hey Roy hows it going...good info there:thumbsup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey Roy hows it going...good info there:thumbsup:
Hi Ivan,
Things are going well for me. I hope the same is true for you and Wendy.

Last April, at Spring Mountain, the steering column lock gremlin struck the guy parked next to me (2002 Z06 I think). It was after the last session on Sunday and there were only 3 cars left in the paddock. He thought he was going to have to call a flatbed to get his car home. He tried my shake the wheel trick and it unlocked. The 2001's had a recall because of problems with the steering column lock. In the worst case, the steering wheel could lock while driving - Very BAD. Based on what I've seen and heard, years other than 2001 can have steering column lock issues.

Here is the GM recall notice:
2001 CHEVROLET CORVETTE STEERING:COLUMN LOCKING:ANTI-THEFT DEVICE
Recall Date: 02/09/2004

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRONIC COLUMN LOCK SYSTEMS (ECL), WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS TURNED TO ??LOCK,?? THE ECL SYSTEM PREVENTS TURNING OF THE STEERING SYSTEM. WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED, THE ECL UNLOCKS THE STEERING SYSTEM. THE VEHICLE IS DESIGNED SO THAT IF THE COLUMN FAILS TO UNLOCK WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED AND THE CUSTOMER TRIES TO DRIVE, THE FUEL SUPPLY WILL BE SHUT OFF SO THAT THE VEHICLE CANNOT MOVE WHEN THE VEHICLE CANNOT BE STEERED. IF VOLTAGE AT THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE IS LOW OR INTERRUPTED, HOWEVER, THE FUEL SHUT OFF MAY NOT OCCUR AND THE VEHICLE CAN BE ACCELERATED WHILE THE STEERING SYSTEM IS LOCKED. ALSO WHEN THE CONTROL SYSTEM SHOWS THAT THE ECL IS UNLOCKED AND THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN, THE LOCK PIN LOCATION CAN VARY. DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE LOCK PLATE RELATIVE TO THE SWITCH TRANSITION POINT, THERE COULD THEN BE CONTACT BETWEEN THE LOCK PLATE AND PIN CAUSING THE STEERING TO LOCK WHILE DRIVING .

Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, A CRASH COULD OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, THE DEALER WILL DISABLE THE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BY REMOVING THE COLUMN LOCK PLATE. WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS REMOVED, THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER WILL LOCK BUT THE STEERING COLUMN WILL NOT LOCK. ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION, THE DEALER WILL REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE, PERFORM A DIMENSIONAL CHECK OF THE COLUMN LOCK AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE LOCK PLATE. THE STEERING COLUMN ON THESE VEHICLES WILL CONTINUE TO LOCK WHEN THE KEY IS REMOVED. OWNER NOTIFICATION TO OWNERS OF 1997 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS BEGAN ON APRIL 26, 2004. OWNERS OF 1998 THROUGH 2004 VEHICLES (EXCEPT 1997-1998 MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES) WILL BE NOTIFIED BEGINNING ON AUGUST 2, 2004. THE REMAINING OWNERS (1997-1998 MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES) WILL BE NOTIFIED LATER IN 2004, WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Potential Units Affected: 126624

Notes: CHEVROLET CORVETTE 04006

·
Registered
23 Posts
There have been several recalls covering the steering lock. It is not only for the 2001 but basically all the C5's with the exception of 2002 and up autos which had no steering locks installed from the factory.

That been said, I would not let the dealer perform any of the recalls on my car and instead purchase and install the CLB. The recalls have proven to cause more trouble then they are suppose to fix in many cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to back out of my garage today in my 02' zo6 but my steering wheel would not unlock! The dash display says "service column lock". I checked the manual and it just tells you to "tow the car to the dealer for service". whats going on here and can i fix it at home?
Happened to me last month.

With the key out, rotate the steering wheel side to side with some force about 10-15 times. Do not be gentle. Then put the key in and see if it releases. If it does, leave the car in the garage and order the column lock bypass from Corvettes of Huston.

If you are real keen with electronics you can build one. See:

http://shelor.net/Z/CorvetteForum/Cscokd/

For step by step instructions on instalation with pictures, see:

http://97vette.com/howto/columnlock/index.html

The best FAQ I have seen for this is at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015483&forum_id=1

Hope this help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts