Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I know for you Americans it's Mothers Day but the British Mothers day was last month.. so that gave me a day to go out and try to get the damn steering control valve off and replace it as it gsve up the goose on Friday!

So I loosen the tie rod bolt... take out the hoses... drain the system... and then go to loosen the castle nut on the pitman arm. No problem... and the books all say simply: remove the bolt from the arm, turn the arm to the right and unscrew the vslve from the tie rod.

Could I get the bolt free from the pitman arm? I've tried brute force, WD40, Fire... yup... tried heating the thing to break the seal and then lever it... but the bugger's still in there. This is now beginning to really annoy me. I spent about 6 hours under there today and it didn't budge one bit.

it's now a battle of wills.

but i have work to do for tomorrow so i'm of to the mexican bar for lunch... dos margeritas...

anyone know any tricks for getting that damn bolt off before my blood pressure goes much higher?!?!?!?!?!?!

thanks guys in advance...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried the pickle fork and heated the arm round the joint to see if it would expand, giving some leaway for the pickle fork's leverage but nothing budged!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Piper dude, even after you get that damn bolt off you're going to need a press or puller to get the pitman arm off of the steering box. I did this just last weekend and I ended up buttoning it back up and taking it to a shop to have them do it. But, if you're dead set on it then get a piece of pipe that will fit around the socket wrench you're using (extending the wrench as long as you can) and use some mechanical leverage! Be sure to use a 6 point instead of a 12 point socket if you have a choice so you don't strip the bolt! I just ended up leaving it to the pro's so if they messed it up then they have to fix it. Good luck with the pipe thing and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
We have a Scottish/English?American translation failure. Iain is trying to get the steering control valve off the tie rod.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Keep trying

Pickle fork and a 2 lb hammer thats the only way.
I just finished everything under mine and thats the only thing that worked. the control valve should unscrew easy after the bolt that holds it to the rod is removed. maybe you need a new rod why don,t you take a pic so we can see it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't use heat because it can ruin the seal in the bottom of the gear box.

I don't use a pickle fork because it can damage the gears & the bushing in the gear box.

I use a puller. Mine fits up above the stud when the steering is positioned to the right (left turn).

Works every time.

No possible damage.

The seal on the adapter can even be re-used.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What does the pitman arm have to do with removing the steering control from the tie rod ?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts

I don't use a pickle fork because it can damage the gears & the bushing in the gear box.

I use a puller. Mine fits up above the stud when the steering is positioned to the right (left turn).

Works every time.

No possible damage.

Now this guy sounds like he knows what he's doing:laughing: Sounds like a "buddy" of mine in NC:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
In removing the CV from the center link to rebuild or replace you may find one like I had in my 75- It was run on all the way and the pinch bolt forced in. The threads on the CV and center link were rolled and I had to pull the linkage out of the car and remove with a pipe wrench and 4' pipe! There should be a gap between the end of the CV and shoulder of the centerlink. Look in the AIM and you'll see it referenced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...It was run on all the way and the pinch bolt forced in. The threads on the CV and center link were rolled and I had to pull the linkage out of the car and remove with a pipe wrench and 4' pipe! There should be a gap between the end of the CV and shoulder of the centerlink...
Sounds just like what I could see the other day when I was under there!!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Works every time.

No possible damage.

I agree with all of this. It just is not the subject. The control valve is.:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with all of this. It just is not the subject. The control valve is.:D
Here is the original post...
So. I know for you Americans it's Mothers Day but the British Mothers day was last month.. so that gave me a day to go out and try to get the damn steering control valve off and replace it as it gsve up the goose on Friday!

So I loosen the tie rod bolt... take out the hoses... drain the system... and then go to loosen the castle nut on the pitman arm. No problem... and the books all say simply: remove the bolt from the arm, turn the arm to the right and unscrew the vslve from the tie rod.

Could I get the bolt free from the pitman arm? I've tried brute force, WD40, Fire... yup... tried heating the thing to break the seal and then lever it... but the bugger's still in there. This is now beginning to really annoy me. I spent about 6 hours under there today and it didn't budge one bit.

it's now a battle of wills.

but i have work to do for tomorrow so i'm of to the mexican bar for lunch... dos margeritas...

anyone know any tricks for getting that damn bolt off before my blood pressure goes much higher?!?!?!?!?!?!

thanks guys in advance...

The guy is having trouble removing the control valve from the pitman arm.

My post SPECIFICALLY addresses his question on how to remove the valve from the pitman arm.

How about clarifying your comment so I can learn how to read myself?
Obviously, I need some help.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts