Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some CCW 18's, 295 x 30 and 345 x 30 Michelin Sport Cups, just got them road force balanced ... still has a vibration in the steering wheel. A bit disappointing.

I had not noticed this vibration with the stock wheels, but will pay more attention when I switch back.

Would increasing the castor on an alignment help?

Anything else that can be done?

thx

LWM

·
Registered
329 Posts
At what speed is this vibration coming in? I purchased a set of aftermarket chrome Wheels for my '07 Z06 and noticed a slight vibration come on about 80-85 mph. Above and below that speed no problem. My wheels have balanced and re-balanced and the problem persists. I am contemplating putting the factory polished wheels back on the car.

Joe

·
Registered
422 Posts
Noticed a slight vibration from 70 up on a 1 week old 2008 Z06.
Not wanting to take it to the dealer (chrome GM rims would probably be destroyed) I took it to the local Goodyear tire dealer. He noted all the wheels were out of balance and did them over. Now the vibration is worse.
WTF!!!
So, bringing it back on Monday and they will redo the job and also match the tire to the rim. Will see on Monday if they can solve the problem.
BB

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have some CCW 18's, 295 x 30 and 345 x 30 Michelin Sport Cups, just got them road force balanced ... still has a vibration in the steering wheel. A bit disappointing.

I had not noticed this vibration with the stock wheels, but will pay more attention when I switch back.

Would increasing the castor on an alignment help?

Anything else that can be done?

thx

LWM
Welcome fellow Albertain....My first post here.

In Edmonton we were lucky to have a shop (only one I ever know of) that has a floor machine that they would press to the front of the front tire on the car.In addition they would attach to the same side front suspension saddle a magnet that would fire a strobe to a handheld gun of which they would point at the tire/wheel. They would place a line on the tire with chalk. When the floor machine (quite heavy and ridgid) was spun up inevitably would indicate with the strobe the spot on the tire where the line was so it easy to determine with trial and error by moving a weight opposite the strobing line smoothing out the spin.The vibration was certainly felt in the hood as the tire spun freely They could virtually eliminate any unbalance not only in the tire/wheel but rotor too! The only uncorrectable factor was if the wheel or tire was out of round and this usually could be seen with the naked eye. Tires could virtually be spun balance silky smooth..(except for the backs with posi)
Name of the garage is Ideal Aligment. One other suggestion may be to try the fronts on the rear and see if the vibration goes to the rear.

Good luck ...I find unbalance most annoying

·
Registered
105 Posts
get your wheel and tire set-up INDEXED.

If that doen't do it then call John Purner at CCW to see what he recomends.

BOL,

Les

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, problem solved. When the tires were re-balanced, one of the weights fell off. The Goodyear store did them all over again and vibration is gone. :thumbsup:

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts