Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about converting to rack and pinion this winter, and Ive got a question for those that are familiar with the Steeroids kit.

I found a wrecked 1973 Vette a couple towns from me that is being parted out. Its got a complete Steeroid kit installed, as well as a brand new PS pump. All the stuff was purchased a while back while the guy was building the car, but it supposedly only ever saw about 500miles of actually use before the car was hit in the rear.

Heres my question. I asked the guy to get all the information (receipts instructions etc.) together before I went to look at it. I called him back today and he said the instructions say the kit he has is for 67-79 BB Vettes (as his is a BB car). He said SB vettes are listed as having there on kits. He said he thinks the only difference is the PS lines, and that everything else should be the same. Does anybody know what the deal is? Would I be alright getting this? Im looking at only about $400 or less, so it's definitely priced right.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
nope, won't work for you. Send me his name and phone number so I can tell him you're not interested :lookinup::laughing:

I'm no R&P expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but all the bracketry and frame holes should be the same for both cars. It should just be a matter of plumbing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol very funny! I know, some MASShole on here is going to find this guy now and get there before I can lol.

Its a sweet deal. Hes also got a complete front monospring setup that he really wants gone but Im not sure I want.:huh:

As far as the steeroids kit I think youre right. I called Steeroids direct and they said the ONLY difference in the two kits is the HIGH pressure line.

On a some what related note, anybody interested in a beautiful steering box just recently built by Gary (gtr1999)?? lol

The rebuild on the box is awesome, Gary did an awesome job and the car feels great. The reason Im going to a R&P is my stock power steering components started leaking (pouring) again like these STUPID systems always do! I replaced the slave cylinder and control valve 2 years ago and Im NOT doing it again so it can just start leaking in another 2 years!:nuts: R&P here I come!

·
Registered
121 Posts
You'll love it

Did Steeroids and full VBP monoleaf springs on my '69. Worth the NEW purchase price, great cornering. Get the improved sway bars as well. The only thing about the rac and pinion is that steering radius feels a bit wider to me. Best part of the set up is the ability to set the height of the ride. Nice radiuses wheels look best on sharks and that gap of sky between the wheel and fender on a lot of cars out there is just cheezy:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
sounds like you have found that deal of a life time...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Best part of the set up is the ability to set the height of the ride.
he'll need to get the front monospring for that, though...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He actually has a vb and p front monospring setup that he really wants gone too. He keeps pushing me to get it saying he will give me a combo deal. I didn't think I wanted it, but maybe I will.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I picked up the Steeroids kit off the wrecked 73 today for a grand total of $500! The kit only had 500 miles on it and appears to be in great condition. The car it came out of had a modified ZZ502. The car was barely driven, and was always garaged.

The kit really looks brand new. He threw in new lines too. However, the lines were for his car (BB not SB) so only the return line will fit my SB '80. I'm just going to have to order a new high pressure line, or try to exchange this one.

While Im installing this Im probably going to replace the lower steering column bearing as well while Im in there again.

Ill keep you guys updated once I start the install... hopefully by the end of the week or beginning of next week.:partyon:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If the lines are new and never installed, call VBP they will probably exchange the big block ones for small block ones

So I picked up the Steeroids kit off the wrecked 73 today for a grand total of $500! The kit only had 500 miles on it and appears to be in great condition. The car it came out of had a modified ZZ502. The car was barely driven, and was always garaged.

The kit really looks brand new. He threw in new lines too. However, the lines were for his car (BB not SB) so only the return line will fit my SB '80. I'm just going to have to order a new high pressure line, or try to exchange this one.

While Im installing this Im probably going to replace the lower steering column bearing as well while Im in there again.

Ill keep you guys updated once I start the install... hopefully by the end of the week or beginning of next week.:partyon:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the lines are new and never installed, call VBP they will probably exchange the big block ones for small block ones
Yeah, I figured I would try that first. I think he said he got this second kit from Ecklers, so Im just going to call and tell them that the kit came with the wrong lines. I dont see why they wouldnt swap them. We'll see....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts