Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/04/fossett.missing/index.html

CNN) -- World aviation record-holder Steve Fossett is missing and a massive search is under way in western Nevada, a Nevada aviation spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Fossett took off from a private air strip known as Flying M Ranch, 30 miles south of Yerington, Nevada, at about 6 p.m. local time Monday, with enough fuel for four to five hours of flight, according to the Civil Air Patrol.

Civil Air Patrol Maj. Cynthia S. Ryan said authorities are searching hundreds of miles of rugged terrain in western Nevada. They also are analyzing information from radar intelligence to try to track Fossett.

Six search aircraft with three-man crews are taking part in the search, and high winds are posing problems, she said. Aircraft from the Naval Air Station Fallon, in Fallon, Nevada, and the California Highway Patrol also are aiding the search.

Fossett, 63, holds the record for the first solo, non-stop, non-refueled airplane trip around the world, set in the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer in 2005.

A year later he used GlobalFlyer again to break the world's flight distance record, traveling more than 26,000 miles in 76 hours.

In 2002, he achieved the first solo balloon flight around the world, traveling 20,626 miles in 14 days.

He's credited with 115 world records or world firsts, and holds official world records in five sports, according to his Web site.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Wow....Don't know why, but I never thought something like that would happen to him.

·
Threadkiller
164 Posts
Wow....Don't know why, but I never thought something like that would happen to him.

True. He's one of those guys that does all sorts of amazing things and then gets hit by an ice cream truck.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I often wonder if there would be a news article if I turned up missing...:huh: Some of you may be very happy if that happens :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts