Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/17/mcqueen.sferrari.ap/index.html

MONTEREY, California (AP) -- A classic Ferrari once owned by Steve McQueen sold for $2.31 million Thursday night at auction.

Steve McQueen poses next to his 1963 Ferrari in the '60s. The car sold for more than $2 million.

An anonymous car collector who placed a bid by phone bought the 1963 Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso during an auction that drew 800 people to the Monterey Jet Center and attracted spirited bidding, said Christie's spokesman Rik Pike.

The sale price was greater than the estimated pre-sale price of $800,000 to $1.2 million, Pike said.

"I couldn't be happier for the car and the legacy of Steve McQueen," seller Mike Regalia, who restores cars, said in a telephone interview. "Without his ownership, it never would have received this value."

McQueen, who starred in such 1960s films as "The Great Escape," "Bullitt," "Le Mans" and "The Thomas Crown Affair," got the Ferrari as a gift from his first wife, Neile Adams. The actor, who also raced cars, special-ordered the Lusso's brown metallic paint and beige leather interior.

Regalia, of Thousand Oaks, bought the Lusso about a decade ago and spent hundreds of hours restoring it to pristine condition.

When asked how much he paid for it, Regalia coyly replied: "A new Lexus would cost more than what I paid."

McQueen died in 1980, at age 50.

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
nice but dont know if its worth that but hey if you have that kind of money why not maybe its the legacy behind it

·
Registered
302 Posts
The guy that owned/restored that lives in my city... there was an article in the paper about it that was pretty cool

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Steve was a great guy, a man's man. He could ride and drive with the best of them.

I was lucky and sat on a pit wall next to him and talked racing while he waited for his stint in a 906 Porsche. He had broken his leg on his bike the previous week in Europe. He was in a cast and turned in some ripping times on the old long course.

His team finished second overall that year.

If he owned this car it was a performer.

:cheers:

·
Registered
160 Posts
From the movies I have seen him in it looks like he did what he enjoyed, its a shame he died at 50. So many more years he could have had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts