Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy gents.
I just fixed a problem that started when my bcm and column lock relay got wet from ac drain water. It's definitely not from the heater core. After I fixed the problems, I ran it a week or two without the A/C on and it stayed very dry. Yesterday was humid here and I ran the AC to test to see if I cleared the drain hose properly. Alas! More water drops on the bcm and the area behind it. There were NO drops coming from under the car at all. I was under the car earlier this week and cleared (what I believe) is the drain hose. It's slightly behind the battery and comes out under the car around the center of the car (pass. side of trans.) and about as far back as the rear of the right front tire. Am I missing something or does anyone know of another cause for this? Much thanks in advance gents
Dan

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Even though you cleared the drain line at the bottom there may be a clog further up in the tube

·
Registered
102 Posts
Columbia,

I had this problem on my 1999 C5 coupe, which immobilized the car for five days while I was out-of-state.

Here is how to unclog the a/c condensate drain:

It is located on the firewall, at the back end of the right engine head. It can be seen from above on the passenger side of the engine compartment, but must be accessed from below. The drain tube is a 90 degree rubber elbow, about the diameter of your little finger.

To remove the rubber drain elbow, raise the RF of the car (use jackstands...) while the engine is completely cool. Get under the car. It is a tight fit, but your hand can reach the rubber elbow. Pull it off the plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall.

Clean the inside of the rubber elbow. The end is moulded into a small shape, about the size of a pea. Cut off the end to enlarge the opening. The rubber elbow will probably be clogged with white, crusty material.

Use a plastic zip-tie (non clasp end) to gently push inside the hard plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall. That will dislodge any "goop" which is usually white, crusty material also.

Replace the rubber drain elbow on the hard plastic nipple, with the drain opening pointing to the ground.

I hope this helps. I think from your description that you cleaned one of the rubber cowl drain "bladders".

This link will show you excellent pictures to help your repair: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.phpt=1069597

Good luck.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I modified my hose.Every few months i run a home made piece of wire thru the fire wall fitting.Scale will build up in the fitting.
My drain hose is almost in the middle of the fire wall,behind the head on the passenger side,it's a bitch to reach.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All my apologies. I actually have tried all the suggestions by the members. I work alot and unfortunately have limited time to try the great ideas provided. I absolutely appreciate all help...thanks to all again.
Well, I removed the short tube. It was entirely clean from top to bottom! It had no obstructions whatsoever. I put a wire into the hole where the tube connects just in case something was in there clogging things. I've been running the car without the tube at all. I haven't had any trouble with water in the car. But it's not too humid right now and I'm not sure if I can duplicate the situation (last hot, humid summer) again. I understand that the A/C is on with the heater on. I still haven't seen any water. I've keep the fuse cover panel off for the past few weeks just to keep an eye on things. Now the blower fan is getting loud (squeaky). It probably got some water too. Again...MANY thanks to all that helped me on this!!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
columbia,

One other suggestion to help:

There are four drain "udders" under the cowl to aid in draining water from it (one on the passenger side, three on the driver's side).

The three driver's side udders can be accessed by reaching under the cowl on the driver's side, just inward of the fender line (between the fender and the brake booster). There are two that are very accessable, and the third one is closer to the door hinge. It is a tight fit, but can easily be done.

They are moulded rubber with a slit at the bottom. The drains collect debris (leaves, sticks, pine needles, etc.) and clog. This causes the cowl to fill up and overflow into the passenger compartment. The water can also damage the wiper motor.

The fourth udder must be accessed by raising the right front of the car (use a jack stand....) and removing the inner fender wheel-well liner (easy - just a bunch of screws). The drain is under the battery and easily accessed once the cover is removed.

Squeeze all four and remove any debris. I think you'll be surprised what you find.

Once again - I hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again! I'll try those other cowlings. I had no idea that they could also back up into the car. As a note, the day it happened, I had the air running on a very humid day. Could this be aggrivated by the drains you spoke of being clogged?
again, thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
columbia said:
Thanks again! I'll try those other cowlings. I had no idea that they could also back up into the car. As a note, the day it happened, I had the air running on a very humid day. Could this be aggrivated by the drains you spoke of being clogged?
again, thanks,

Dan
Dan / Columbia,

I think anything is possible.

My Corvette is garaged and coverered, and stored in the winter. I do not park under trees. When someone showed me how to check the drain udders, I was surprised at the amount of small debris that was in the three on the driver's side. I guess some of the debris blew in while I was driving.

When my a/c condensate drain overflowed, it was on a very hot and humid day. I would suggest cutting off the end of the rubber a/c condensate drain tube, which allows the water to drain faster and not back-up and overflow.

Good luck - If I can help further, please ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great advice and thanks again. I actually removed the drain for the A/C for the moment. I assume it makes the water drop downward before it goes into any air streams under the car while running. But for testing, I just removed it.
I'll try your ideas with the various udders. It sounds like a great idea too. It's getting cold up here in the Chicago area and I may not do too much driving, but I keep all the repsonses and try them when I'm able.
much thanks again,
dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Columbia,

I had this problem on my 1999 C5 coupe, which immobilized the car for five days while I was out-of-state.

Here is how to unclog the a/c condensate drain:

It is located on the firewall, at the back end of the right engine head. It can be seen from above on the passenger side of the engine compartment, but must be accessed from below. The drain tube is a 90 degree rubber elbow, about the diameter of your little finger.

To remove the rubber drain elbow, raise the RF of the car (use jackstands...) while the engine is completely cool. Get under the car. It is a tight fit, but your hand can reach the rubber elbow. Pull it off the plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall.

Clean the inside of the rubber elbow. The end is moulded into a small shape, about the size of a pea. Cut off the end to enlarge the opening. The rubber elbow will probably be clogged with white, crusty material.

Use a plastic zip-tie (non clasp end) to gently push inside the hard plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall. That will dislodge any "goop" which is usually white, crusty material also.

Replace the rubber drain elbow on the hard plastic nipple, with the drain opening pointing to the ground.

I hope this helps. I think from your description that you cleaned one of the rubber cowl drain "bladders".

This link will show you excellent pictures to help your repair: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.phpt=1069597

Good luck.
Great post, but I guess this thread is too old and the above link is dead. I have the carpet wetness, and will seek out the elbow when I get some rack time. I must say the "Photobucket: watermark hampers makes seeing an awful lot harder in other posts.. Very appreciate the gang here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts