Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 537 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on this swap/rebuild/restoration a little over a year and ½....

Matt AKA DB- graciously asked me to bring the build over here- where I might get a little more appreciation or rather a perceptive recognition of the quality in the build rather than how sacrilegious it is...Heaven forbid an European Engine in a Corvette...Personally I think Duntov would dig it -
“Zora Arkus-Duntov was born in Belgium, raised in Leningrad, and educated in Berlin.
He brought his European automotive high-performance experience to bear on the just-introduced Corvette”

Here's what I'm placing between the frame rails...

A BMW V12 circa mid nineties- it's an all aluminum 60 degree with 322HP stock NET....10:1 compression-roller single overhead cam which weighs in around 500lbs.
Dimensionally it's about the same size as the LS5 that was originally in my car...but the "numbers matching" motor was long gone when I bought it in 1980....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heres's the serp belt set up- using stock BMW pulleys and Denso Mini 75amp alternator- and a custom machined adapter to spin the Peterson 3 stage pump

It'll be backed up by a Richmond Overdrive 6 speed- custom bellhousing utilizing a BMW E31 (AKA 850CI ) flywheel drilled and pinned to fit a Chevy 10.4" clutch.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Richard, thanks for posting. I'm totally digging the project from start to finish and I can't wait to see more.

I agree, as will many others, this is an awesome project.

There will always be someone who doesn't agree with what you're doing but I just hope they can keep everything positive and try to respect all the hard work and imagination that goes into this project.

No room for a Negative Nancy in this thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the "Reader Digest " version....

I've used a couple of the older V12's as mock up- I just purchased a 1996 low mile BMW 750IL parts car- and this is the motor that's going in it-

Comments -good or bad- WELCOME!!!

Richard

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt-

If you need dimensions on the mounts- not problem at all sharing...AND if you're really looking for a V12- I have a line on a great deal- but you'd have to pick it up in PA... less than 4 digits- REALLLY!!!

Richard

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Looks like a very ambitious but well-thought-out project. I wish you much luck with the endeavor. It will be worth it just to hear the exhaust note. :D

Just curious as to the weight of the BMW V-12 powertrian versus the stock Chevy 350?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Looks like a very ambitious but well-thought-out project. I wish you much luck with the endeavor. It will be worth it just to hear the exhaust note. :D

Just curious as to the weight of the BMW V-12 powertrian versus the stock Chevy 350?

A bare SBC iron block is around 180 lbs. Fully assembled with iron heads and iron intake it's nearing 575 lbs.

A fully dressed BMW V12 is a hair over 600 lbs. Now, knowing that Richard has killed a few of the accessories he may have dropped his V12 down to SBC weight.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Great build! Keep the pictures coming. That is going to be a sweet and unique ride when you are done. The suspension looks great too, btw.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us. I like upgrading a c3, Chevy dropped the ball in the 70 s with barely enough power to get the Vette moving. This will be a interesting build and one to follow. A lot of people tell me I shouldn't put a 8.1L in my Vette because it is a truck engine, but I just smile and think about all that torque it produces. I've been thinking about naming my Vette torque monster, you'll have to come up with a name that fits the v12 thanks again :thumbsup: Mark

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A bare SBC iron block is around 180 lbs. Fully assembled with iron heads and iron intake it's nearing 575 lbs.

A fully dressed BMW V12 is a hair over 600 lbs. Now, knowing that Richard has killed a few of the accessories he may have dropped his V12 down to SBC weight.
Nope....The FULLY dressed 5.4l (328ci) V12 weighs in at 529lbs- including AC, PS and a big ass 140amp alt...Mine in it's current state will be right around 500lbs.

Read somewhere of an actual weighing- but BMW rates it at (the older V12 circa 1988-296HP) at 1.77lb/Hp- or 523lbs....

It's really light - where as the crank doesn't have a lot of counterweight due to it firing every 60 degress and the vee is 60 degress- It's really smooth....

Coin balance...

http://youtu.be/dcuxcZxl2BM

Richard

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Nope....The FULLY dressed 5.4l (328ci) V12 weighs in at 529lbs- including AC, PS and a big ass 140amp alt...Mine in it's current state will be right around 500lbs.

Sorry my bad, I watch a lot of Top Gear and I remember an episode where they were comparing UK V12 engines and I just recalled them claiming the BMW V12 in at 607 lbs.

I like your number better.

Curious though, how far out can the cylinders be bored? Or can they at all? If for instance someone finds a higher mileage engine and wants to rebuild it...how much cleanup can be performed before the cylinder walls are too thin?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
All I can say is WOW!.....in a good way. :D That is quite an ambitious project, and you seem to have what it takes to pull it off. Can't wait to see the final product! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Anyone who is willing to build something that unique gets big points in my book. You're going where no one else has gone before. How difficult will it be to get the electronics working for something like this? It's obviously not something that Painless has a kit for...
I think it would be fun to build that motor for big power, but keep it muffled fairly well like it was in the BMW. It would surprise a lot of people with the power and sound.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nah, open up the exhaust. That V-12 should sound sweet! (Supermarine Spitfire or Merlin powered P-51 maybe not..)
That will be quite a car when done! Are you going to adapt the OE computer, or go with a motec or megasquirt type system?
A few years ago at Funfest, a guy had his Lamborghini Countach on display. Being the petrolhead I am, I started poking around the engine bay and noted 2 gm ECMs. When I commented on that, the owner told me the origan computer flaked out. He called his local Lambo parts dealer for an estimate for a replacment, to which they replied, " no problem-It'll be 15." The owner said $1500.00, thats not too bad, to which the supplier replied no, $15000.00???!!? The owner went elsewhere and found a system that runs the car as 2 6 cylinders. It looked to be older ECMs so I guess it was a batch fire system rather than a sequential...

1 - 20 of 537 Posts