Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend that is talking about getting a Mustang Cobra at about the same time that I plan on getting the C5. All I'm going to do is K&N and Corsa. So, I'm guessing about 375hp. The Cobra is factory with 390hp, I think. Now, I know that sometimes hp isn't everything. So, how would we compare in acceleration and handling. Keep in mind that Cobras have independent rear suspension and I think they weigh a little bit more. He plans on a pully upgrade, so, what do you think? Is he going to walk all over me?

Edit: Yep, He just told me they have a curb weight of 3665.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ssrogers said:
I have a friend that is talking about getting a Mustang Cobra at about the same time that I plan on getting the C5. All, I'm going to do is K&N and Corsa. So, I'm guessing about 375hp. The Cobra is factory with 390hp, I think. Now, I know that sometimes hp isn't everything. So, how would we compare in acceleration and handling. Keep in mind that Cobras have independent rear suspension and I think they weight a little bit more. He plans on a pully upgrade, so, what do you think? Is he going to walk all over me?

Edit: Yep, He just told me they have a curb weight of 3665. Whatever that means.
The 2004 Cobra has much better performance than past Mustangs. But the HP and Torque increase is not enough to make a stock Cobra smoke a stock C5. It would be close but the C5 would handle and pull just a bit better.

If he goes with a pully upgrade he might just have the performance to get you. You'd be hardpressed to get 375 with just an exhaust and K&N. But the Corvette always has the weight advantage. The Cobra is no slouch though, don't underestimate it.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ssrogers said:
You don't think I could get 25hp with this K&N (link) and Corsa?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=82
They claim up to 16 with that filter, I think it is more along the lines of 6-8 HP tops. I have had friends dyno cars after adding exhaust and open elements and they gained in the neighborhood of 15HP. I just think that these companies over rate the HP ratings on these add ons.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
poncherello said:
They claim up to 16 with that filter, I think it is more along the lines of 6-8 HP tops. I have had friends dyno cars after adding exhaust and open elements and they gained in the neighborhood of 15HP. I just think that these companies over rate the HP ratings on these add ons.
true, or the conditions are "perfect".

anytime i read about advertised HP gain on any product, i cut that # in half.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
ssrogers said:
You don't think I could get 25hp with this K&N (link) and Corsa?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=82
Nope..sorry,had a K&N with cut lid and hollowed cats with zo6 cat back,and the car was no quiker or faster in the 1/4,i did knock-off a couple tenths with the halltech t-1 cobra (also replaces the stock accordian),and i could feel the car pulling harder in the mid and upper rpms.Added constant 2 mph on my trap speed too.

I would not be suprised if your friend is going to add a filter and exhaust to before you guy's race.
Don't use shitty gas and get your PCM in the low octane tables,or you will lose,otherwise i'll say you will nip him if you can drive good...run flats suck for traction.Even when some people (like me) say they can hook up decent on run flats,still not as good as non run flats.I have OEM zo6 tires now.
Good luck and video it if you can..
:partyon:

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Pesonally, I have seen a well driven Cobra walk past a well driven C5 here......it's going to come down to driver skill until he starts modding it. Then it's :buhbye: C5. Get yourself some N20 and keep the playing field level!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could get a 100 shot for when he trys to mess with me. That would get me at about 450hp and a 100 shot wouldn't be pushing the limits to much.

Also, We are both very good drivers. But, could the Cobra ever handle as well as a Z51 C5. I just don't know much about Cobras.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ssrogers said:
Ok Y'all, what about to main point of my original post.
With just the filter and exhaust you will not be running 375HP. Now if you added long tube headers, mild cam, exhaust, intake, Z06 manifold and some good heads you'd be putting over 425HP to the wheels :surprised You'd smoke darn near anything on the road and would be pulling low 11's in the 1/4 if you could get traction. :thumbsup:

Those are my plans anyway:partyon:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ssrogers said:
I could get a 100 shot for when he trys to mess with me.

Also, We are both very good drivers. But, could the Cobra ever handle as well as a Z51 C5.
On a road course the Z51 would handle better than a Cobra.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so, how much HP do you think I will get from the Dual cone K&Ns and Corsa exhaust?

15 total?

Also, hawaii-5-lo, I plan on getting 255/285 F1 GS-D3

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least I will always have him beat in terms of style.:D

Also, I don't think he'll be able to touch the C6 Z06.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the Cobra will be a smigen faster than a stock
C5(non Z06)! They are heavy though, and with a couple
of good mods,i.e.-headers,exhaust, intake, you would
be neck and neck! Good luck.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
My input...
If you are racing on the streets, you know what they say, "anything can happen".. the track however, I'm pretty sure, iwth him getting a pulley upgrade to his Supercharger, he'll have you. If he's a good driver as you say, he'll still need practice with his new car, but he could possibly get down to ~12.55 in the 1/4-- (about 12.9 stock) The 12.55 is a rough estimate going along with the 12.9 stock time with a pulley upgrade AND being a good driver. Since he is heavier and less aerodynamic than you, you will pull about 1-2 cars on him past 130, provided you both are on a highway.
If this is a street race, be careful from "slow" rolls, remember, he's supercharged- but if he panics, he might spin through 2nd.

In conclusion, at the track, with perfect traction and driving, he should edge you out. Top end and handling go to you. Looks go to you. Sound (since you didnt mention and exhaust mods for him) will also go to you. On the streets however, anything can happen, just videotpae it either way! Have fun with your new C5 when you get it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, looks like I'll have to count on the Z51 for the track, and get a 100 shot for the street.

We are both good track drivers, but he is an awesome drifter.

If I can't get him, at least I know that I'll be able to get two other people I know.

One has a 89 single turbo auto Toyota Supra. He is one of the types that thinks imports are king of all cars. You know the type? He's not a ricer, just an import guy.

The other has a 275hp SR20det turbo Nissan 240sx 5-speed. Fast, but doesn't pull as hard as a Corvette. He took me up to 110, and I have driven an auto C5 to 110 and the Corvette pulled harder even with the auto.

They both have a lot of money in handling though, so, I have no idea about the track.

But, the Cobra still has me worried. It will be about two years, but we will make videos I'm sure.

I also have a friend with a 69 Chevelle. You know how muscle cars can be. He guesses about 450hp and I believe him because he has forged internals and the works. I know I have him beat at the track and aero, but I'm not sure about acceleration. With the rear-end gears that he has right now it's not as fast off the line as it could be, but once he is going it roars and pulls very hard.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
ssrogers said:
But, the Cobra still has me worried. It will be about two years, but we will make videos I'm sure.
2 years? In 2 years, you might can get all kinds of C5 mods for cheap! Do what Ponch said! :excited:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Derek88 said:
2 years? In 2 years, you might can get all kinds of C5 mods for cheap! Do what Ponch said! :excited:
Yeah, but I don't want my C5 to be better than my C6 Z06, and I'm not worried about any of them with the C6 Z06. If I wasn't going to get a C6 Z06, I would put a Twin Turbo kit on the C5.

In case your wondering why two corvettes. First, why not? Second, the C6 Z06 is going to more of a weekend car and the C5 is going to be more of a everyday driver. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Jeep and I would never be able to sell it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts