Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sombody was telling me that the corvette hood was fiberglass. I wanted to know which one is lighter in weight. Of course, if I was to get a carbon fiber hood I would be going for looks and less weight .

Junk man you have any words to that ?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
The stock C5 hood is SMC. Sheet Molded Composite. It's sort of a type of fiberglass. But not the traditional sheet type like what usually comes to mind.

There was a special edition Z06 in 2004 that came with a carbon fiber hood and that was supposed to save 10lbs. Caron fiber hoods ain't cheap and that money could be spent better on other go fast goodies.

You'll have to do a lot of weight reduction to feel a power increase if you're not also coupling it with power upgrades. Anything less that a 50hp gain, and you're not really going to feel it in the seat of your pants.

Reactions: JeZeusWTB

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,440 Posts
Unless you just want bragging right to say you have a carbon fiber hood, I'd say save your money

Reactions: JeZeusWTB

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I'll look into the z06 hood. What years for the hood 98-04? I can probably get that for 200

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks to all. I'll look into the z06 hood. What years for the hood 98-04? I can probably get that for 200
Only the 2004 Z16 optioned Z06 had the carbon fiber hood.
They have special stripes and are all LeMans Blue.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Dude, not all Z06's have carbon fiber hoods. Only the 04 LeMans Special Edition.

Lol...$200 for a carbon fiber hood?? You can't even get a stock hood for that.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Read what SJS wrote. You just repeated what he said in a different way. :spanked:

I know, I was typing as he was posting. Happens sometimes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, not all Z06's have carbon fiber hoods. Only the 04 LeMans Special Edition.

Lol...$200 for a carbon fiber hood?? You can't even get a stock hood for that.
Apparently you don't know how to shop. Or maybe the location your in sucks ? I can get hoods , t tops , gm rims for 200 right now

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
If you can get a true full carbon fiber (not just carbon fiber look) C5 hood for $200 I'd love to see it. I know that the full carbon fiber targa top for a C4 cost multiples of that in materials alone.

And the stock Z06 hoods have identical looks to the stock C5 hoods. There is no difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only stock hoods or what ever people sell.I haven't searched for carbon because I thought it weighs more than original.???

I want the stock hood that lifts up down the middle......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Engine swaps for the C5? 98

I would like to know what types of engines I could swap into my c5 ?

Also

Shoild i go with Super charger or turbo with the engine j have now ls1???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts