Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me what the stock sizes are for the fuel feed and return lines and the brake lines and whether they are single or double flare as standard.

Am looking to replace all lines on my car, with the body on, so I know I will need to make each part in sections....
I have been toying with running flexible for the fuel but am still unsure. Aeroquip socketless perhaps...just wondering how tight it will be running 2 lines ap and around the kick ups.

After reading a recent post about stainless lines and how hard it is to flare unless you have a mighty fine $$$$ tool, am looking at normal steel which will be painted.

Not really interested in all the fancy anodized fittings etc...cheapo! .
Any help or advice appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
5/16 and 1/4 for fuel, 1/4 and 3/16 for brakes, brake lines are double 45 deg. inverted flares, this because of seamless tubing and better chance of sealing when reused.

Do you want to replace the brake lines with a hose? :surprised :lookinup:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Just buy the brake lines already done. It would be a MAJOR PITA to make them.

Also make sure your using aeroquip high pressure lines if you want to run all hoses for brake lines. That will cost a pretty penny. ;)

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
5/16 and 1/4 for fuel, 1/4 and 3/16 for brakes, brake lines are double 45 deg. inverted flares, this because of seamless tubing and better chance of sealing when reused.

Do you want to replace the brake lines with a hose? :surprised :lookinup:
TT, I think you talking ID, most of the guys over the years here on this side/pond referr to OD....so it's 3/8 supply and I would swear 1/4 return....Id have to go measure that though...I still have the stock carb lines on my '72 here now...with the ~45lbs pump in the rear for DPFI, I know guys say that return line has to be larger...but no, taking pliars onto the return line jumps it up really fine, and I can adjust the regulator down to only 32 psi on the gauge....so I know there is no return line problems....except for FI hose everywhere to hook them up, they fine....believe it or not....

as for brake lines, my brake line to the rear did fail so in went two lengths of flared 1/4 inch lines, direct from m/cyl to rear T split to hose and steel/hose from there....
put a standard brass flare coupling in there somewhere...cut and reflared...this is all standard auto supply house crap over here....

even IF my fuel pump didn't have the crapassity of some racing pumps, the engine take me to 150 mph, and so my chicken factor takes over, enough 4 ME....course that's with top and windows down....only a woosey does it with windows/tops UP.....:nuts: :spanked: :cheers:

:rolling: :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been toying with running flexible for the fuel but am still unsure. Aeroquip socketless perhaps...just wondering how tight it will be running 2 lines up and around the kick ups.
Was looking at steel lines for everything but with the possibility of running flexible for the fuel only....no way would I use flexible for brakes.

So fuel is 3/8 supply and 1/4 return. Single flare
Brakes are 1/4 double flare 45 degree...is that correct?

Marck, you mention 2 sizes of brake line...is the larger the front to back along the frame and the smaller across the frame braces...

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yes 1/3 is the rear line over the frame before it splits.

As for fuel, i'm pretty sure the small blocks have a 5/16 OD line. 3/8 must be for big blocks. Fuel lines have no flares, only rubber hose connections.

80, 81 have 5/16 fuel, 82 has 5/16 feed, 1/4 return. 69 big block L36 has 3/8 feed, 1/4 return. Other BBCs have only a 3/8 feed.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'll throw in another whammi. I think the return is 5/16":rolling:

Anyway, here you can easily get 6' sections for less than 5 bucks ea, of all the sizes from 3/8" down to 1/8" in brake line. It is plated to prevent rust and comes with the double flare 45°, inverted fittings etc. So all you need is a flaring tool. cutter, and the right size inverted unions. I regularily use brake line for fuel lines.:D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I bought the stainless brake line kit from midAmerica, no leaks and I installed it with the body on.
The fuel lines cannot be installed with the body in place, it's too tight at the kickups... you'll have to either cut the lines at the kickup and install a coupler or use braided hose.
I used braided hose (10AN supply, 8AN return), took me about 2 hours to replace the rusted junk with new shiny stuff.... easy....
These fuel lines are not pressurized, the supply is only a suction line to the pump and the return is at about 2lbs above atmosheric pressure as it only dumps fuel back in the tank with no signifficant backpressure unless your line is clogged...
These fuel lines came from the factory with rubber hose between hard line and fuel pump and between hard line and tank pickup, both ends securely held tight with hose clamps....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently had to replace a small section of fuel pipe that had corroded at the base of the rear kickup. When we measured it it was about 9mm or so which is around 3/8.

I was thinking of getting some rolls of tubing along with the tools and getting it shipped over...its all soooooo expensive here in the UK! Have a shopping list that is getting longer and longer and longer....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the stainless brake line kit from midAmerica, no leaks and I installed it with the body on.
The fuel lines cannot be installed with the body in place, it's too tight at the kickups... you'll have to either cut the lines at the kickup and install a coupler or use braided hose.
I used braided hose (10AN supply, 8AN return), took me about 2 hours to replace the rusted junk with new shiny stuff.... easy....
These fuel lines are not pressurized, the supply is only a suction line to the pump and the return is at about 2lbs above atmosheric pressure as it only dumps fuel back in the tank with no signifficant backpressure unless your line is clogged...
These fuel lines came from the factory with rubber hose between hard line and fuel pump and between hard line and tank pickup, both ends securely held tight with hose clamps....
So you managed to run both a supply and a return in braided at the kickups? Do you have any pictures of the install? I had a pig of a job just running the one supply line in flexible and feeding it down through the kickup!

·
Registered
187 Posts
So you managed to run both a supply and a return in braided at the kickups? Do you have any pictures of the install? I had a pig of a job just running the one supply line in flexible and feeding it down through the kickup!

I cannot confirm diameters right now, but highly recommend getting
full spools of good plated tubing. 20-25 feet per spool. I would STRONGLY
discourage anyone from using the pre-made brake lines in the rack.
They ALWAYS rust away on me, crappy plating and they are thin, too.

When installing the lines, lube between the fitting and tube with grease
to facilitate removal in 10 years.

:buhbye:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sorry, don't have a photo... I can try to remember and take one tonight...

I did not have a problem feeding the lines up - I started under the car and pulled them up. I used the Summit brand braided hose ($80 each for 20')

NHVette,
the prebent stainless lines are fine, they fit very well and don't leak. I think they were only $25 more than the steel lines.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry, don't have a photo... I can try to remember and take one tonight...

I did not have a problem feeding the lines up - I started under the car and pulled them up. I used the Summit brand braided hose ($80 each for 20')

NHVette,
the prebent stainless lines are fine, they fit very well and don't leak. I think they were only $25 more than the steel lines.

No no no ... my prebent stainless brake lines were a godsend.

I'm talking about the straight steel lines you get pre-flared with nuts from
places like Pepboys and Autozone ... etc. Premade, not prebent.

Anyway, the original poster stated that he didn't want to go the prebent
Corvette catalog route.

I bent my fuel lines from spools and clear coated them ... less than $25/spool.
Easy to do when you have the old lines as a guide:
(even easier if the body happens to be off)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Agree, the pre-flared stuff from the 'zone' is not all that great....

Summit had aluminum tubing on sale not too long ago. Easy to work with and should be good enough for the low pressure fuel line.... wouldn't use it for the brake lines though....

he probably doesn't want to go the 'catalog route' because of the high shipping charges and tax (he's in the UK)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree, the pre-flared stuff from the 'zone' is not all that great....

Summit had aluminum tubing on sale not too long ago. Easy to work with and should be good enough for the low pressure fuel line.... wouldn't use it for the brake lines though....

he probably doesn't want to go the 'catalog route' because of the high shipping charges and tax (he's in the UK)
Also, the prebent stuff is bound to get damaged in transit so I might as well try bending my own.....

Have a shopping list for summit but cant find any reels of pipe. Pipe benders and flaring tools ( the cheap ones ) yes, but no pipe.
Anyone recommend some online brake accessories suppliers?
I have all my stuff shipped to a US contact who then ships it over to me in plain packaging.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I cannot confirm diameters right now, but highly recommend getting
full spools of good plated tubing. 20-25 feet per spool. I would STRONGLY
discourage anyone from using the pre-made brake lines in the rack.
They ALWAYS rust away on me, crappy plating and they are thin, too.

When installing the lines, lube between the fitting and tube with grease
to facilitate removal in 10 years.

:buhbye:

I've been using the brake lines for years and years. Live less than a mile from the ocean and there isn't even any surface rust on daily drivers.
There are some pics I posted in another thread here about ss lines.

Jotto
6' sections can't be that expensive over there!!!
At least not so as to offset shipping etc.

Any way, here is a link to a retail tubing supplier, they have coiled tubing available and some good info on the site too.
Hope it helps:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where da linky..it hiding from me!

Tubings not too expensive over here but I like to do a one stop shop....I like to open one box that has everything I need, plus I can guarantee its not going to be some pseudo metric stuff that will leak with the wrong fittings...:smack

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sorry:spanked: :rolling:

http://www.inlinetube.com/

Parts are getting crazy for these older cars.
Called around to 7 local NAPA stores today for vacuum advance cannisters and they all said a4-6 day order. They are all getting to be like advance or autozone selling not much more than oil, waxes and balloon exhaust tips for Hondas. But I guess that pays the bills these days.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts