Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Lines, good fluid, and stainless lines are always a good quick upgrade for any car. High quality brake fluid like Motul 600 or SRF will allow more temperature in the brakes without running as high of a risk of boiling. Stainless lines will reduce the chance of the rubber line coming apart during high pressures and heat that can be seen under HPDE events. The stiffer line material will also give you a better pedal feel and firm up the brake pedal. Brake pads should always be chosen for the application at hand and you always need to match your pad to the use for maximum performance.

Stage I kits for a quick and easy upgrade to your Corvette. Includes: lines, hardware, Motul fluid, and High-Performance brake pads.

Stage II kit if you need to replace your worn out rotors, or simply upgrade to better set of StopTech's slotted, or drilled AeroRotors. Kit's include everything from the Stage I kit plus four StopTech rotors.

When you are ready for the next level, big brake kits are always the best bet. StopTech brakes have been our exclusive brake for our World Challenge cars since 2004 when we teamed up with them on our Corvettes. StopTech offers un-beatable performance and quality for the price. Not only that you will have top quality service and support from not only LG Motorsports but from StopTech, a company right here in the US:flag:.

StopTech continues to lead the braking world in performance and design of their braking kits.
You will not find a rotor on the market today that has the aero-dynamics found inside the StopTech AeroRotor. These improvements will give you a much cooler rotor, that will give you longer life and better performance time and time again.

Many companies offer a two piece hat and rotor design to save weight but not all two piece hat and rotor designs are equal. Not only will StopTech rotors save weight but they will let you choose between floating, and fixed rotors for street or track use. Full floating rotors will allow the rotor to move unrepentantly of the hat taking up any deflection or tolerance in the rotating assembly reducing 'pad knock back' under racing conditions. The AeroHat design also is directionally vented to increase cooling to the face of the rotor.

The bolt in bridge design also adds to the stiffness in the caliper. Stiff calipers not only reduce the chance of a soft pedal, but they also make sure your brake pads wear even and do not taper giving you more contact and longer life from your pads. StopTech continues to lead in caliper rigidness and structural stiffness.

These are just a few of the highlight points of why we choose to work with StopTech on developing the latest in Corvette Braking components for our race cars, and ultimately your street/track Corvette at home.

We are currently running specials on full StopTech kits as well, please contact us here at LG Motorsports for details.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Will they crack?

Hi,
In the last year I've gone through 3 sets of rotors.

My first rotors were the stock rotors and pads and I experienced substantial brake fade on a tight road course (Streets of Willow Springs).

So I upgraded to AC Delco drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HP+ pads and stainless steel braided brake lines. My first track weekend at Buttonwillow I cracked my front rotors. My friends told me that drilled rotors crack, I guess they were right.

So I switched to PowerSlot Cryo Treated rotors and Ate Super Blue brake fluid and ACI front brake cooling ducts (still using Hawk HP+ pads). PowerSlot makes a big deal about not selling drilled rotors since they crack, so I thought I was safe. After several track weekends, these rotors cracked in front too!

Now I'm gun shy and resigned to rotors being an expendable item like tires and brake pads. I ordered Ate slotted rotors and cheapo Raybestos OEM replacement rotors as a backup.

I am interested in Stop Tech brakes and rotors but I'd hate to have thousand dollar rotors crack on me within a year like my PowerSlots did! I believe only the outboard side of the rotors cracked, maybe because there's less cooling air?

Any advice? Will StopTech rotors crack too? Am I just braking too hard when driving on the track?

Thanks.
Roy.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even the best rotors in the world can crack or fail on you. It's the design and work that goes into them to try and keep that from happening as quickly.

Many things can lead to rotor failure.
1. Wrong brake pads for the application
2. Not enough cooling or to much cooling
3. Not enough brake, i.e. the brakes are to small for the application leading to increased time on the brake pedal.

The biggest single thing I think is the constant heating and cooling of the rotor, they just wear out. Companies like StopTech have put a lot of design, R&D, and real world testing on their parts to make sure the product can take as much as possible.

Drilled rotors do look nice, but they do lead to a spot for the rotor to crack. Depending on the brake pads being used, some pads do like some kind of gas venting which is why the slotted rotor has become so popular. The slot allows for the gases to 'vent' from the pad but does not leave an area for the crack to start from.

Also some race pad applications will leave the rotor un-even and may even show some surface cracking. Small cracks are ok, as long as they do not touch the edge of the rotor or start to expand. When they reach the edge replace the rotor before the car sees any high performance driving, the same can be said for cracks that start to open up or spread.

The biggest help you can do, is make sure your brakes are up to the task at hand. Make sure you are using the right brake pad for what you are doing with the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts