Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some painting done to the vert (see previous post). I picked up the car and took my wife shopping. On the way home i got the Low Coolant warning and then it went away. While coming down my street i got the warning again and then as i was backing into my driveway i got a buzzing sound from in the dash that sounded for about 1 minute, it sounded alot like a buzzing alarm. I checked the coolent in the over flow and it didnt seem low but have not actually looked in the radiator yet.

Anyone ever have a strange buzzing alarm before???

· Premium Member
30,674 Posts
Whoa, I'm going to have to check this out when I get home tomorrow! I would pull the codes and refrain from driving it until we know what's up if I were you. Post the codes when you get them.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok im sitting in my car as i type this. I ran the codes and came up with about 34 differant codes, they went faster then i could write them down. All the codes came up with a H at the end which i thought meant they were old codes and arent a issue any longer. All but one code and it had a H C after it. That code was C2120 which if im correct from what i have found is TPM system malfunction. Would that be because i have gotten new wheels and tires and didnt install the tire pressure sensors? Im still getting the low coolant display and need to check my coolant, mabe the guy that painted my over flow tank didnt put enough coolant back in or messed up the sensor?

Thanks Junkman you are the best!!! :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
30,674 Posts
ok im sitting in my car as i type this. I ran the codes and came up with about 34 differant codes, they went faster then i could write them down. All the codes came up with a H at the end which i thought meant they were old codes and arent a issue any longer. All but one code and it had a H C after it. That code was C2120 which if im correct from what i have found is TPM system malfunction. Would that be because i have gotten new wheels and tires and didnt install the tire pressure sensors? Im still getting the low coolant display and need to check my coolant, mabe the guy that painted my over flow tank didnt put enough coolant back in or messed up the sensor?

Thanks Junkman you are the best!!! :thumbsup:
Hey Steve, atsugidad gave you the right scoop on the coolant tank issue. I would check exactly what he advised. Here's some more info on that sensor:

The coolant level sensor monitors the coolant level in the cooling system and indicates if the coolant is low. This sensor is a magnetic switch inside the surge tank. The magnet (which floats on top of the coolant) closes the switch when the coolant is at the "Full Cold" coolant level. The location of the switch is on the lower right hand side of the tank, at the rear.

If the "Low Coolant" indicator appears, inspect the coolant level.

Important
The vehicle must be level during an evaluation.

If the vehicle is in a nose down attitude, "Low Coolant" could be indicated at a normal coolant level.

Disconnecting the switch opens the circuit and lights the "Low Coolant" indicator.

Here's a TSB concerning the low coolant level indicator in your year vehicle. Good info! :thumbsup:

As for the C2120 error, your not having the sensors in the wheels is exactly what is throwing that code. Here's the bad news. If your Vert was a 2001-2004, you could use a scan tool and turn off the TPM feature. You can't do that on your model so that code will constantly be thrown. Also, if you decide to place sensors in your wheels, the 97-2000 are different than the other C5 years and they usually cost more too (just like the fobs). At least that code doesn't set the annoying check engine light. That always make your Vette look sick. :(

Last of all, when reading the codes, they will cycle through 1 time. After that, they pause and allow you to read them 1 at a time. I assume this is so with all C5 years. If not, I would always have a camcorder ready before I read my codes. That's some valuable info just zipping past your eyes!

I can't find anything or anyone with a buzzing issue. The only thing I can think of is that your "dinger" went postal and decided to buzz instead of ding. It could happen although I've never heard of it happening before but then, it's just a speaker and they do sound like crap when the go out.

You sure you didn't have gas? I've seen you eat you know... :D

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Junkman i can always count on you.

I think im actually going to get a off day tomorrow so i will check the sensors in the tank. Its got to be something to do with that, the guy that painted the tank may have goofed it up. He did it for me so cheap i cant complain.

Turns out at our club meeting the other night my wife talked to a corvette mechanic and he said he had never heard such a thing, he said it was probobly a strange occurance and the speaker went wacko for a minute. Just like you said.

:D ive got the gas thing under control for now, well at least till i go back to Paducah and throw down the 3 pounder.

Time for the next disaster, pulling the guages and installing the new bezels. im sure ill be on here looking for some kind of help....:rolling:

Thanks again
Steve :cheers:

· Registered
956 Posts
Low Battery Voltage.

That would be my guess. Low voltage causes sensors to go wacky and the light in the passenger footwell to buzz. How old is your battery? How long was the car at the painter?

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The battery is about 3 months old and the painter had it at the shop for about 3 weeks. it starts fine and shows the propor voltage, ill put it on the battery tender tonight when i get home just in case. Thank you

· Registered
956 Posts
I'll split it with you AJ.

I want to know more about a 'buzzing' light bulb.

Jim
I guess I'm not a 100% sure its the light... When my battery was dying a week ago the light was quickly flickering and the buzz seemed to be coming from there. I didn't investigate further. Also both times my battery has died, the car has thrown random codes when the voltage was low.

My theory about your car was that it sat at the painter and the battery drained down to 10V. 10V is enough to start it, but that's about when I started seeing random codes on my car.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'm not a 100% sure its the light... When my battery was dying a week ago the light was quickly flickering and the buzz seemed to be coming from there. I didn't investigate further. Also both times my battery has died, the car has thrown random codes when the voltage was low.

My theory about your car was that it sat at the painter and the battery drained down to 10V. 10V is enough to start it, but that's about when I started seeing random codes on my car.
I had the same issue about a year ago when i was doing some work on the car, i let the battery run low and the lights and buzzers started going crazy. I was wiring up my sat radio and thought i messed something up :laughing: kinda funny when i look back now but i freaked back then.

I will find out later, i put the tender on it and am planning on checking the coolant sensor as soon as they get done installing my new HD satalite system.

Thanks everyone for the help, i will let you know what i find.

Steve :cheers:

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok i checked he sensor and everything seemed to be ok. I checked the voltage and it was only about 11.6 volts so i put my charger on it for a couple of days. Last night the wife wanted to go out for diner so i thought it would be a good time to take the car for a spin to see if everything was ok. The voltage was up to 14.7 and everything seems to be working now, the only time i got a low coolant message was when i was in my driveway with the front of the car lower then the rear.

So maybe it was just a low charge on the bettery from sitting for a couple of weeks.

Once again thanks for everyons help.

steve

· Registered
142 Posts
This past weekend, I had a similar problem with a buzzing sound. It was coming from under my driver’s seat. The lumbar motor for the seat was constantly running. I could push on the switches and it would stop but as soon as I let go of the lumbar switch the motor would start again.
Being cold out, night time and no glasses to see with (telling me age) I made a little rig with a paper clip to keep the switch pulled over. So I could check it the next morning.

Good news the buzzing stopped. Bad news, the battery is dead.

I have next Friday off so I guess it will be time to pull the seat and replace the switches.

· Premium Member
30,674 Posts
This past weekend, I had a similar problem with a buzzing sound. It was coming from under my driver’s seat. The lumbar motor for the seat was constantly running. I could push on the switches and it would stop but as soon as I let go of the lumbar switch the motor would start again.
Being cold out, night time and no glasses to see with (telling me age) I made a little rig with a paper clip to keep the switch pulled over. So I could check it the next morning.

Good news the buzzing stopped. Bad news, the battery is dead.

I have next Friday off so I guess it will be time to pull the seat and replace the switches.
Water has spilled into your switch at one time. It may have crystallized or is still wet but I bet your roof leaks a little in a torrential down pour or if you wash it and spray water on the roof at the right angle. Am I right?

· Registered
142 Posts
Junkman, your right, it did get wet while I was getting in my car during a downpour.

If it doesn't warm up by this weekend it may have to wait a while. At least, it will give me some time to find the switches before I pull the seat.

Thanks for the input...

· Premium Member
30,674 Posts
Junkman, your right, it did get wet while I was getting in my car during a downpour.

If it doesn't warm up by this weekend it may have to wait a while. At least, it will give me some time to find the switches before I pull the seat.

Thanks for the input...
You don't have to pull the seat to get that module out. Just remove the handle, and then there is a screw in the front and back of that plastic piece that you need to remove. At that point, the plastic piece just snaps out. Disconnect the power harness from the box and remove the box from the plastic piece. Wallah! You can now work on the problem. :thumbsup:

See this thread for more clarity.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,444 Posts
Where is the buzzing sound coming from?

Reactions: HN376RAR

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts
You need to explore that area and try to isolate where the buzzing is coming from. Use your hand and feel around for vibration. If it buzzing it vibrating. Look for relays or boxes and feel to see if they are vibrating. Buy a cheep Stethoscope take the end off that you put against your chest and replace it with a tube. Use that to isolate the sound. I keep one in my tool box for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts