Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes while making a turn, when the turn signal clicks off the horn will blow for a fraction of a second. Not long or even that loud, but it can be heard. The weird thing is the horn quit working awhile ago.

I pose two questions: how many horns are on the car?
I unplugged one between the headlights that i could see.
And what could be causing it to happen?

Thanks

Save the wave

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't say but I'd hate to pull the steering wheel again. It was a pain in the ass the get it back together last time.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Now that you have practice, dive back in. I am 90% sure the problem is in there.
:agree:

Steering columns are a PITA, but not that tough. I'd bet the spring/retainer/contact for the horn has come out and is catching on the cancel cam

:cheers:

·
Registered
517 Posts
If your '77 is like my '73, there is also a horn above the driver side rear wheel for the alarm system. I don't quite see how this could be in the 'equasion', but it might.
Did you unplug the power or the ground to the front horn? If you unplugged the ground, it is probably still grounded through the frame. Short in steering column still means circuit closed, horn honks. I you unplugged power, and it's not the alarm horn, well then...huh...I got no friggin' idea. But any short anywhere needs to be taken care of--at least this one is letting you know it's there before the smoke starts coming out of the wires.

John

(Just throwing out ideas--are you sure there was only one horn up front? I added another one to my car to enhance the pitiful little bleat of "sorry, sir, I hope I didn't get in your way" to a more forceful "YO! DUDE! WATCH OUT!!")(But that still doesn't address the problem of an obvious short in the steering column.)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, I'll get cracking and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Horn contact is grounding when you turn the wheel. Might be something as simple as cleaning the contact.

:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts