Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange Engineering called today and they are shipping my shocks for the C6.

The shocks will have nine adjustments for compression and nine for rebound with a detent knob for each setting. They should be here this week and I will be leaving for the Bristol race early Thursday so I will know nothing this week. Hopefully they will be on within 10 days and then the 'experimentation' will begin.

Those of you who have tuned cars have wheel hop; wheel hop breaks $$ things.
The launch control only allows 290 ft/lbs (approx) to be applied in first gear; with the tune it can be anywhere from 350-390 and it will ALL be applied to first gear if you hammer it.

I will let you all know the good and the bad, if any, of these shocks and I will make darn sure it gets hammered hard from a standstill to guarantee no wheel hop . . . and if it does I am out $$$$.

It is just around the corner now.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I wheel hopped the other day off the line, and once on a bam-bam 1-2 shift. Pissed me off. I always think the suspension is going to frag.:whip:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir! The suspension won't frag - - the third member will. You got a warranty on your ride??

Key is more compression and MUCH less rebound(extension).

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
olddog said:
No sir! The suspension won't frag - - the third member will. You got a warranty on your ride??

Key is more compression and MUCH less rebound(extension).
Warranty? Nah. If a part breaks... it's a good excuse to upgrade it!

I would like an adjustable coil-over/airbag suspension. I want to drop it on the belly at car shows. :laughing:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Old Dog,
I am not only experiencing that maddening wheel hop but i am also beginning to loose traction whenever I hammer it both as i am rolling on in first or from a dead stop.....

Silly Question... (and perhaps u have already covered this in earlier posts) but can't someone make an electonically adjustable shock that applies more downforce to the wheels (therby increasing traction) as it senses an increase in engine torgue??

How much did Strange Eng. charge u for these new prototype shocks?

ajmw

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I think Olddog is on to something.
I think this shock will greatly reduce or eliminate hop. I still do not think the Tremac will hold up to banging gears even with a brace But without hop I think the C6 will do 11s with a tune, headers, ported intake, bottom feed induction system, probably a Vararam will do the deed first but there is a "race only" scoop coming out that fits the radiator opening and make the entire area a high pressure plenum.

I did the following and wheel hop greatly reduced in my car.
Lighter wider wheels
Wider rear tires
lighter rotors
LPE Konis

I will let the experts figure out what happened but my car is a rocket out of the hole now. I control spin in first with throttle and once I smooth shift second I am hooked:thumbsup:

The 325 runflats feel different in a slide than the 285s I am tempted to say the Z06 tires are not the same compound. But again I tweaked the suspension and unsprung weight so who knows but my guess would be the shocks are the key.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AJ,

You don't get downforce from shocks but you do get the ability to transfer more weight and hold the transfer of weight longer.

Electronic shocks are available and I believe they are about 3500 bucks - - too much for my wallet.

As to you lack of wheel hop, has you car had an EDIT? If not, your torque is limited to something like 290 in first and I think it prevents wheel hop - - and it prevents performance.

I expect the Strange units to be about $750 a pair IF I order at least fifteen pair. (fat chance)

Midnight is correct about the Tremec *rock box* not holding up and I would shift quickly but I would not even try to speed or power shift it. I also would not side step the clutch in first either. Personal feeling is that either would spell destruction of $$ parts.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sebrock,

This is a problem unique to the C5 and C6 as they both have a double A arm/frame rear suspension. Usually it is seen only in the manual trannie cars and not the automatics.

I don't know why they did away with the 'four link' suspension of the C4; they were very good and only hopped if the tires were old and hard...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
hey old dog what about if you...well i went with a full coil over swapp. i found one for less then 2k and this seems like it would do the same thing but more so in that i could tune for road racing...not much of a drag racer in my brand new 50k car plus all the money i have put in it..please no calculators!!!! and that is what i have my dragbike for!!! any way what you think about swapping to a coil over set up

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would speak to some owners of the full coil over swap - - a little harder than you think and there may be some disadvantages.

I don't drag race my Vette; at times, I do hammer it good and when from a stop I just do not want any things back there bouncing around . .

·
Registered
471 Posts
What spring rate

Old Dog,

What spring rate are you running on the rear? My car is set up for road racing so 1st gear launches are not so important. I'm running Billstein Sports and very heavy springs on the rear. The car wont hop, traction is very good but this all comes at the compromise of ride quality (my car is not as harsh as a T1 set-up but darn close). I guess your set-up if it works would give you a streetable and adjustable solution.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What ever comes with a Z51 C6 - - I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok

olddog said:
What ever comes with a Z51 C6 - - I haven't a clue.
I think that it is somewhere in the 300-400 lbs area. You could probably eliminate the hop with a higher spring rate; the car wouldn't hop as high and hard but that isn't really a solution. I love my set-up but I like the race car feel and dont drive the car on the street much. If you can come up with a better set-up where you just change the shocks and not the springs, that would be awesome. I think in the end a coilover system is best but they are expensive and require a lot of labor and proper equipment to be installed properly (there are only a handful of shops that can install them properly). Most people buy a coilover kit and have their local guy install them and have a lot of problems because it was not done right. Can't wait to hear the results of your new shocks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
OD,
comments noted. thanks. I'm interested in a pair of those shocks.

Re wheel hop.....Had an LS2 edit done when the headers and high flow cats were installed.....

Am having a Stage II ATI D-1SC1 Blower installed in the coming weeks with a smaller pulley to compensate for less boost b/c of my other header/exhaust mods......and i need to acquire the tuning software for my mechanic. Would appreciate yours or the other DC chatters suggestions as to what the best software system is?

cheers,

ajmw

·
Registered
201 Posts
olddog said:
The launch control only allows 290 ft/lbs (approx) to be applied in first gear; with the tune it can be anywhere from 350-390 and it will ALL be applied to first gear if you hammer it.
Man you learn so much from this forum.....

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shocks came while ai wqs at Bristol playing - -Working - - with the fuel teams. will have them on by Friday: I hope..

'dog

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Polyurethane bushings are much harder and tend to transfer torque from the chassis components to the drive train.

I don't understand how a feally stiff spring can prevent wheel hop but me not understanding something is not new.

My shocks are here and I have to get the time and weather conditions to put them on: oak pollen is so heavy now that my driveway is green and it will get worse. With the ram air it will just clog the blazes out of the filter.

Probably late next week for the shock installation. Will let all know.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts