Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Z06 with 2,600 miles. I recently replaced the factory high polished wheels with an aftermarket chrome version of the Z06 wheel, of the same demensions.

During the installation of the new wheels, the tire shop had a very difficult time mounting the left front tire on the wheel. After considerable lubrication and using well over 100 psi to "air up" the tire, the tire finally sealed itself onto the new wheel. Wheels were then balanced and reinstalled on the car.

I have recently noticed that at 80 mph, I get a vibration that can be felt at the steering wheel. It is somewhat diminished above 80 mph but can still be felt.

I had the front wheels rebalanced and the problem did not go away. The vibration was not evident when the original wheels were on the car. Only noticeable after new wheels were installed.

Looking for advice as to what could be the problem:

1. Bad wheel, due to the fact the tire would not originally seal. (No visual signs of damage)

2. Wheel damaged due to excessive pressure trying to "air up" tire onto the wheel.

3. Vehicle in need of possible wheel alignment. (No previous problem, and vehicle is not abused)

4. Thoughts?????

Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Speed-sensitive vibration is usually a balance issue. Go somewhere that has a Hunter 9700 or similar machine that can do a very accurate multi-dimensional balance. Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a 2007 Z06 with 2,600 miles. I recently replaced the factory high polished wheels with an aftermarket chrome version of the Z06 wheel, of the same demensions.

During the installation of the new wheels, the tire shop had a very difficult time mounting the left front tire on the wheel. After considerable lubrication and using well over 100 psi to "air up" the tire, the tire finally sealed itself onto the new wheel. Wheels were then balanced and reinstalled on the car.

I have recently noticed that at 80 mph, I get a vibration that can be felt at the steering wheel. It is somewhat diminished above 80 mph but can still be felt.

I had the front wheels rebalanced and the problem did not go away. The vibration was not evident when the original wheels were on the car. Only noticeable after new wheels were installed.

Looking for advice as to what could be the problem:

1. Bad wheel, due to the fact the tire would not originally seal. (No visual signs of damage)

2. Wheel damaged due to excessive pressure trying to "air up" tire onto the wheel.

3. Vehicle in need of possible wheel alignment. (No previous problem, and vehicle is not abused)

4. Thoughts?????

Thanks.
You mentioned the wheel, what about the tire? They had a hard time getting it on so something may be wrong with it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. The tire is the original tire that was on the car when purchased. I did not have the problem before, so I assumed the tire was good.

When the tire first could not be mounted on the wheel, they remounted the tire on the original wheel and I drove the car home, with no problem. I then took the new wheel and tire to another shop, who was able to mount the new wheel. This shop rebalanced both front wheels and that was why I was thinking it might be a problem with the wheel.

I have dealt with both of these shops before when dealing with new tires and wheels for my Corvettes over the years, so I was pretty confident the problem might be elsewhere.

I will check to see what machine they have for balancing.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved. Went to my local Discount Tire, who had the Hunter Machine that was able to do the diagnositcs that have been mentioned in this thread. Two out of the four tires needed to be remounted. They all were re-checked for balance and according to their machine, two were improperly balanced to begin with.

Long story short, smooth sailing ahead, no more vibration! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts