Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get your mind out of the gutter, LOL! Ok this summer I finally bought a house with a 2 car garage (williamstown, nj) so now I have plenty of room to work (and learn, alot). My vette has alot of spider cracks on the hood, and the standard rear bumper fade. My first project is to completly strip the car, although I have never done this. Could someone please explain the best way or methods to do this. All I know is to take it apart. Thanks all.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I have read about using a razor or backing soda in the earlier thread but I am a complete idiot with this stuff anything out there on a step by step on both?

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I don't have a step by step, but go to Home Depot etc and get a 5" razor scraper and extra razors and also a small one.

How many layers are on the car? I had a lot along with a ton of filled areas on the drivers side, that is slowing down the progress.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
If you don't know for sure if original or not, I would start by removing a mirror and seeing if there is any paint build up around the base when it has been removed. That should give you an idea if it really is original. I also have found that is an easy place to start removing the paint.

As Stingray has posted, make sure it is held flat and work in a small "circle" scraping the paint to start. I took most of mine down to the gray primer above the gel coat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts