Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long said I would rather have a key operated starter switch, rather than the keyfob actuated "miracle of engineering" Chevrolet decided to put in my 2005 coupe. This morning my thinking was justified. The stupid start button fell back into the recesses of the dash.
As fate would have it I had to get up extra early this morning to work on a project at my office. Without my ignition switch in its regular place secured in the dash I am afraid to drive the car. (If you jiggle the switch the car will start, but just as quickly the car will die)

Look at your ignition button closely. Chevrolet should have put a molding of some sort to hold the button securely in the dash.:crazy:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I agree. I learned early to push the Start button then back off the button as the car cycled through the start sequence.

:agree:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I love the push to start after 25000 miles. No keys to dig out of your pocket or dangle down scratching the dash. Just jump in, go to neutral, push the clutch, and tap the button. your off.

·
Registered
546 Posts
liked mine as well.....although every time i pushed it i wanted to sing........nananananananana batman!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have long said I would rather have a key operated starter switch, rather than the keyfob actuated "miracle of engineering" Chevrolet decided to put in my 2005 coupe. This morning my thinking was justified. The stupid start button fell back into the recesses of the dash.
As fate would have it I had to get up extra early this morning to work on a project at my office. Without my ignition switch in its regular place secured in the dash I am afraid to drive the car. (If you jiggle the switch the car will start, but just as quickly the car will die)

Look at your ignition button closely. Chevrolet should have put a molding of some sort to hold the button securely in the dash.:crazy:

I never had a problem with mine and I like it. May you are one of few that got a bad switch. Any mass produce parts, some will be bad.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Anyone had this problem in an '07?

When I move in three months, the 'vette is going to be my daily (and only!) vehicle. The last thing I want is to be stranded cuz a starter button won't work...

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you keep in mind it is not a doorbell, a missile distruct button, or swich on a VCR, I doubt you will ever have a problem. The lightest touch will start the car, and you will never have a problem. 11,000 miles, and most of it as a daily driver over the past 10 months, and not a single problem.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That's reassuring, thanks Tex!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I love it except for the fact that the whole keyless entry and start has caused me to lock the fob in the car for the second time. I have this habit of working out and leaving my keys in my backpack then placing the backpack in the trunk with the keys and then the car will not unlock. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I love the starter button vs a key. :partyon:

There are differences from the 2005 to the 2007, with the '05 you could just barely touch the button and it would start the car and/or turn it off. With the 2007 GM made it, and I understand why, so you have to hold the button for a second or two in order to start or turn the car off. It eliminates a casual brush of the button and it shuts the car down.

I hate it whenever I get in one of my other two vehicles to fumble for a studpid key and have to manually lock/unlock my doors...... it doesn't take much to spoil some of us I guess. :spanked:

Roy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sucks when you have two cars...

Recently bought my wife a BMW. I am forever forgetting to lock/alarm it, as I have to 'manually' push the darn button. I love the fact that I just walk away from my Corvette and it just does the right thing for me!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Give me a plain old key - - they didn't f#ck up the way these things can. If you MUST have a button make it solid and bulletproof . . these are not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little background may help clarify what could have happened. A few days before the starter button debacle I took my car into a Chevrolet dealership for LOF and a check of the trans, as the car did not have a positive detent going into third (slipped)
The dealership removed the transmission and replaced a clutch pack and some other related parts. They called two days later and said the car was ready. The lot boy who drove the car from the back to where I was waiting looked about 14 yrs old and seemed VERY nervous.
When the starter button broke I mentioned this fact to my experienced service writer. He suspected the brand new lot boy may not have held his foot on the brake when he was trying to start the car, and kept pushing harder and harder on the button, breaking the clip that help the button in place.
Car is fixed now and much faster as they put in a full race starter button!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love it except for the fact that the whole keyless entry and start has caused me to lock the fob in the car for the second time. I have this habit of working out and leaving my keys in my backpack then placing the backpack in the trunk with the keys and then the car will not unlock. Very frustrating.

I'm working on a design so that your car will sense the key fog is still in the car when the driver open and close the door.... It will blow the horn 3 times, or the car will ask (vocally) the driver whether or not he or she is leaving the keys in the car. It will be voice-actuated as well. The car will be programmed through the DIC to say your name................

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
First: Give me a key. But here's what we have to live with...

The START button problems can be avoided if you know the following: Just TAP it and release. Do not hold it in as you would hold the key in the 'start' position. A simple quick 'tap' sends a signal for the car to begin the start process. It does not connect directly to the starter solenoid.

Damn technology. :huh:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I love it except for when i get into my other cars and THEN I have to dig out my keys while I'm sitting down.

I hear that in 2009 there will be an option where you can have a chip implanted in your ass so that the car starts automatically when you get into the seat.

·
Registered
533 Posts
:D
I'm working on a design so that your car will sense the key fog is still in the car when the driver open and close the door.... It will blow the horn 3 times, or the car will ask (vocally) the driver whether or not he or she is leaving the keys in the car. It will be voice-actuated as well. The car will be programmed through the DIC to say your name................
Maybe I'm weird but I just keep my fob in my pocket - can't leave it in the car, don't have to worry about the door locking with my fob inside, don't have to take it out to lock/unlock anything. Just put it in your pocket and forget about it. I can't believe all the threads I've seen about people locking their fobs in the car. :WTF :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts