Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's a weird one I'm looking for some ideas on....

it's a '99...here lately when I start it up and go, for its first cycle through first gear, there's been a noticable lack of power....almost like it's running out of gas and struggling to keep going. once it shifts up to 2nd and beyond, it's fine. and then the issue never re-surfaces until I shut it off, let it sit for awhile, and come back to it when the engine's cold. whether it's city stop-n-go or highway, everything is smooth as can be beyond that first 15 to 30 seconds it's running from a cold start.

this morning I backed out of the driveway, dropped it into drive and hit the gas and it barely went anywhere. it was chugging and missing like crazy, but it never died. and again, by the time I got to the end of the street it was fine and stayed fine all the way in to work.

fuel pump and filter were replaced less than a year ago, so I don't think that's it.....

any ideas? :huh:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same thing happened in my 97 grand am. It was like the transmission was stuck in neutral. Going home the battery light came on and the lights went dead and then the whole car and I was stuck on the side of the road.
Took it to the shop and the alternator had went out and the car had been running on battery power alone and that was causing the transmission to not engage from a cold start. The alternator was changed and it's running fine now. I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Sounds like its not getting fuel enrichment when cold. Could be an o2 sensor going bad. Or not switching from closed to open loop. Definitely sounds like a problem with lack of fuel when it was cold. If it had a carb I tell you to adjust the automatic choke..:rolling:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the alternator. that went out on me about 2 or 3 years ago....I know exactly what you're talking about with the dash lights coming on and the car dying...that exactly how mine did. I first noticed this problem about 2 weeks ago or so...if the alternator wasn't charging the battery, it'd be totally dead by now.

it starts up just fine....it just acts like it's getting fuel in spurts for the first step on the gas. I immediately thought fuel pump, but as I mentioned, the pump and filter were replaced about a year ago.

leaving work yesterday and this morning, it didn't do it at all. I backed out of the driveway, hit the gas, and went with no hesitation at all.

another factor is that I was really low on gas yesterday morning. not like I was going to completely run out at any minute, but low nonetheless. I gassed up on the way home....maybe with such a huge tank (45 gallon) it just wasn't pumping the fuel effeciently when it's really low?

I'm thinking it could be a partially clogged fuel filter keeping the gas from flowing smoothly?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
45 gals :surprised lets see @ 3.65 a gal thats $164.25 :thud:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Its possible with the close to empty tank ,that when you filled up you stirred up some sediment from the bottom of the and it plugged the fuel filter. I also had a problem with a clogged catalitic converter causing the same symptoms you described

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
45 gals :surprised lets see @ 3.65 a gal thats $164.25 :thud:
well, gas is 2.99 here, and it obviously never gets completely empty....but a fill up is still about 42 gallons if you run it down close to E....so a fill up right now would be about $125. that's why I don't ever fill it up. :laughing: I buy gas 30 bucks at a time...and that lasts me about a week.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whats Wrong??

Sure sounds like a fuel filter. Maybe the filter is doing its job of keeping out the trash .Yes I know you already changed it, but if you got a bad tank some where that could be it,its the cheapest thing to eliminate. It happened to me I could not believe a new filter could go bad that fast. I had to have the tank removed and cleaned. Just a suggestion IMOP...GOOD LUCK. I'm driving a Tahoe daily driver 02 just 23,000miles onit retired less need.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
well, gas is 2.99 here, and it obviously never gets completely empty....but a fill up is still about 42 gallons if you run it down close to E....so a fill up right now would be about $125. that's why I don't ever fill it up. :laughing: I buy gas 30 bucks at a time...and that lasts me about a week.
I take it you run reg.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
78 Posts
gas quality right now is really low. Honestly it wouldn't surpirse me if it was the fuel filter clogged again. We've dealt with a big jump in gas related problems because of the gas being so crappy. Sad thing is look what were paying for the the crap! eh bad stuff man hope ya get it all squared away!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts