Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's almost time for the temperature to start rising so here's a tip for everyone to keep the Corvette's cool!!

This is a very easy was for you to test the coolant in your car. Bad coolant can be aluminum's worst night-mare. Bad coolant will actually start to deteriorate aluminum causing many problems. So, here it is!

You will use a DVOM (multimeter) to do the test. Make the setting of the DVOM say Millivolts. Put the negative lead to a good ground and the positive lead into the coolant. Here is a chart to gauge your results.

0 - 0.05 = Good!
0.06 - 0.10 = Unacceptable
0.11 - 0.20 = Change it NOW!!!

Anything over 0.05 will start to deteriorate aluminum.
Hopefully we can save some radiators and some LSx engines with this!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
cool (pun intended)

When you get the time can you explain why this works. :cheers:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool (pun intended)

When you get the time can you explain why this works. :cheers:
Sure!
It's called electrolysis. Coolant is comprised of a few different things. First, it is ethylene glycol that provides the freezing and boil over protection. Next, it has inhibitors like silicates, phosphates, and borates. These inhibitors form a protective coating on the system surface and protect against corrosion as long as it is in tact.
Eventually heat and dissolved oxygen and minerals deplete the inhibitors. Once that protection is gone, electrolytic corrosion attacks aluminum very quickly.
This is how it works....... All of the electronics in your vehicle use a ground that is in one way or the other connected to the engine block and frame of the car. So, without the protection of the inhibitors there begins to be a very small amount of electro magnetic current running through the coolant. This current is called electrolysis and will destroy aluminum and copper. That is why you can use a DVOM to check your coolant to see if there is any current flowing through it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Iam going to check mine when I get home.Thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Very cool tip. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Muchos Cucarachas for the explain :thumbsup:

I'll be checking mine when my son brings back my multimeter I lent him.

Bon Voyages :partyon:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts