Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought an midsize SUV used. It is in pretty good shape but it has this sappy sweet odor in the interior... HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT? Shop fan has been blowing in it for days.... I hear that there are "chemicals" but need an assist here... Junkman?

Charlie

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
the smell is solvents evaporating from the plastic in the interior....the typical new car smell....it will go away over time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO

No this is a 98.. with 60 k miles that odor is something that has been used to cover other odors....

Hooah
Charlie

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
could go to the extreme- shampoo the carpets, take rubbing alcohol to everything else....just make sure to treat the plastic/vinyl/leather after to protect it and rehydrate it.

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
A good cleaning is always important, can't stop a smell if you don't eliminate the source.

Once you get that done check around locally for a place to rent an "ozone generator" its is absolutely the ONLY way to 100% eliminate odors in an interior.

I say rent b/c quality ones run about $600+ and you'll only need it once.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The ozone generator IS the extreme way to go.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
We bought an midsize SUV used. It is in pretty good shape but it has this sappy sweet odor in the interior... HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT? Shop fan has been blowing in it for days.... I hear that there are "chemicals" but need an assist here... Junkman?

Charlie
Ahhhh the sweet smell of an antifreeze (failed heater core) soaked front carpet!:laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Oh, they are definitely trying to hide something. Either cigarette smoke or baby puke.
Or maybe a body in the back......Oh, sorry, I've been watching too many reruns of "Bones". Happens all the time on that show. :laughing:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a dodge van that the drain for the AC plugged up and the system then turned moldy. Took it back to the dealer several times and they never could fix it, they did try to mask the smell but it still had that odor. Ended up trading it in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts