Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you in the Chicago area know my car is currently being built at PTC. Right now the plan is a supercharger w/10lbs of boost to begin (the motor can handle 15lbs), but lately I've been thinking about a twin turbo. There is someone on the corvetteforum that wants to build it and use the pieces to make jigs for future kits.
My car is at the point where I have to decide in a week or two which way to go, it would involve miminal changes to the motor (maybe a cam swap).

HELP! Opinions please.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Twin Turbo!!!!!!!!!!! :excited:

Look at LPE, their TT package turns 8.95 et's! No way the same motor with any supercharger could turn those #s. They'd need to add lots of Nitrous.

And twin turbo's are great coming off the line because of the more gradual application of HP to the wheels.

At least that is what I heard.....

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked a the LPE site, but there was nothing for C4's just C5's, besides I already have someone that'll do the install and tuning. I know the turbo's are better off the line and the supercherged cars are best from a rolling start (at least my C5 was). I'm just trying to decide which to do.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Be careful if your doing a TT, I seen how many problems John F. had with his single turbo from Cerra and they are supposed to be reputable. :lookinup:

When would either be done?

I imagine the supercharger could be installed in a short period of time. Short enough to get some track time in this year. ;)

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked out the thread about John F. and am aware of the potential problems. If I were to go the TT route it would add 45-60 days, meaning the car would be done just in time for the ChevyVette Fest at the end of November.
I've pretty much written off this year already.:(

On another subject John, have you been to Rte 66 for test & tune lately? I looked around for you or Jeff the last few weeks, but I guess you weren't there. You missed a pretty good one this past Tuesday, the entire US Army team was there testing, most of them were packing up by 4, but Scotty Cannon made one run and Antron Brown made 2 runs on his bike. Angelle Savoie was there too and damn, did she look good in person.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Arnie said:

On another subject John, have you been to Rte 66 for test & tune lately? I looked around for you or Jeff the last few weeks, but I guess you weren't there. You missed a pretty good one this past Tuesday, the entire US Army team was there testing, most of them were packing up by 4, but Scotty Cannon made one run and Antron Brown made 2 runs on his bike. Angelle Savoie was there too and damn, did she look good in person.
I haven't been able to get out there since right before the move. My wife is a HUGE Angelle fan, I wonder how she missed that one. Things are starting to slow around here so I should be able to make it out to Rt.66 this coming up Tue. I might even take the 87 down at least once. I still don't have a helmet so it'll be one run done. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-=Jeff=- said:
Twin Turbo for sure.. It would be nice if they offered a C4 for that too..
Not sure what you mean, but if i do go the twin turbo route it will be on a 383 cubic inch L98 in a '85 C4.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Arn,

I spoke to Jeff yesterday and mentioned this topic. He doesn't get much time to be online anymore so he'd like you to contact him so he can call you at home. His e-mail is [email protected]

He was at PHP getting his new tires put on, they are BIG! That's all I'm gonna say. :laughing:

Are you going to Rt.66 this Tue?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
War Machine said:
Arn,

I spoke to Jeff yesterday and mentioned this topic. He doesn't get much time to be online anymore so he'd like you to contact him so he can call you at home. His e-mail is [email protected]

He was at PHP getting his new tires put on, they are BIG! That's all I'm gonna say. :laughing:

Are you going to Rt.66 this Tue?
e-mail sent
I'll be at 66 this Tueday, probably get there around 4:30 or so and I'll either be walking in the staging lanes or sitting in the stands, just behind the tree.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're on a bubget the twin turbo will be cheaper! I can tell you exactly what you need in order to split the block in 2. With twins you can still use your shorty headers and everthing. Depending on how much power you intend to put down I can help you choose the turbos too. The hardest part is putting an intercooler in place a routing the tubes to it. If you have already a guy that will jig everything for you then, it will be even cheaper. Besides this everything else depends on how much power you want!

later :cheers:

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
I'd pick twin turbo as opposed to a supercharger...just for the fact that you'll be able to produce more hp and apply it over a curve. A TT 383 should be a wicked Vette!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Darkness said:
If you're on a bubget the twin turbo will be cheaper! I can tell you exactly what you need in order to split the block in 2. With twins you can still use your shorty headers and everthing. Depending on how much power you intend to put down I can help you choose the turbos too. The hardest part is putting an intercooler in place a routing the tubes to it. If you have already a guy that will jig everything for you then, it will be even cheaper. Besides this everything else depends on how much power you want!

later :cheers:
I already have a guy that wants to do the work, basically for the cost of parts, he will make jigs from my pieces for a possible kit to be available later. The TT will cost me quite a bit more than the SC, because all I had to buy for the SC was the actual supercharger, everything else(brackets, tubing, etc) were included with the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts