Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys -
I bought my third Corvette back in November, an 07 Coupe (Lt3, Auto) and have fallen in love with these cars all over again. The engineering that went into these cars is amazing. The car felt very strong when I first bought it, but now that I have become comfortable in it, I need more power.

Now I am pondering the purchase of a new Z06 to satisfy the need, but I'm not sure that I can justify the price of the car for 105 additional horsepower. So I'm considering adding a supercharger to the car and have heard reports of 200HP gains on stock LS2's. I want the car to remain reliable and be driveable on a daily basis. While it's not my only vehicle, I do find myself in it no less than 5 days a week even if it's on a grocery run.

I would love to hear from you guys that have added superchargers to your cars to let me know what you think of the addition, lessons learned, recommendations, etc.

Thanks in advance -
Brian

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
While the Z06 would not improve power as much as a supercharged C6, you do get better brakes, suspensions, ect., but for a higher price. Like you said, for around 6k you could get a sweet looking Magnuson roots blower for 560hp @ 7psi, or for the same price an ATI Procharger good for upwards of 600hp @ 7psi.
This would be the cheaper, more powerful route, but you give up on the Z elsewhere. Although with the around 15k left over vs. buying a Z06, you could always go for Pfadt suspension, Brembos, ect. If you do go the supercharger route, however, 345's and Z06 fenders would be a wise addition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply sb.

We are definitely thinking along the same lines. I am more interested in going in a straight line then road racing or anything like that, so I'm not sure I would benefit much from the suspension upgrades. Like you said, it is going to take some meat to get that power to the ground, and I do like the fender upgrades that I have seen in the forums.

Go fast cars need stop fast brakes too...

Looking for more feedback if anyone else has any thoughts. Thanks -

·
Registered
546 Posts
keep what you have .....you will lose the targa top as well if you go with the z

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should talk to C6Dude, every time i see his car in a video, i start drooling. He had the D-1sc procharger if i remember correctly and somewhere around 700whp.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, but C6 Dudes's sig is 5 lines of other engine mods that would probably pay for a new Vette. 600hp at the flywheel is nothing to sneeze at. Think of the difference a 50% power increase will make!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Z06 will not get down a twisty real world road any faster than a blown base car. Real world very few of us can really push the threshold on the stock base cars in the twisties and the extra capabilities of the Z06 goes unused.

Performance is more accessible in a straight line and becomes a matter of traction and power.

Many will argue the Z06 would still be a better track machine and they would be right. The thing is most of these cars, Z or not, seldom or never see a track.

Not to take away from the Z06 which is kick ass piece of work, if you dont need to see a badge on the side of your car you will get better real world performance with a blower and some traction help. You will be faster straight line, go just as fast down a back road, spend less, have a smoother ride in the daily grind, lower insurance, and you have the option of popping the lid.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The Z06 will not get down a twisty real world road any faster than a blown base car. Real world very few of us can really push the threshold on the stock base cars in the twisties and the extra capabilities of the Z06 goes unused.

Performance is more accessible in a straight line and becomes a matter of traction and power.
Well even if you push a Z and a C6 the same, the Z would still be faster because of its higher capabilities. The Z WOULD be faster in the twisties.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Z06

If you prefer the MN6, I'd recommend the Z06; plenty of power and no hassels with engine and body mods; not much difference in total cost either!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I’m also contemplating whether to modify my C6, or just go with a Z06.

Typical driving application for me would be mainly lightly traveled back roads (lots of 0 – 70+ opportunities), canyons with mixed low and high (55 mph) speed sections, some interstate mountain driving with lots of corners and hills. In town driving and flat strait interstate driving would probably be the least.

Would I would notice the power / handling differences between the two?

Brian: I am not trying to hijack your thread; I just think we have the dilemma.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Choice

I decided to go with the C6 and the Procharger. I think that it will be fun to surprise people with the power. People see the Z06 coming.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem at all C6??? -

The more the discussion the better. I made my decision today when I got out run by an SVT Mustang in a street race. The car was obviously modified and he didn't get me by much but I didn't like it at all.

Procharger + LG Long Tubes in my near future...

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If you have an auto tranny, a hi-po rebuild may be in the future as well and if you take it to the track often with sticky tires, you'll need to have better driveshaft to boot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Z06 vs Supercharged

This is what I do.
I bought a convertible with the Z51 package. I have great brakes and suspension.
Also I have a convertible automatic.
My near future plans are to install a Supercharger (that would get more HP tha a Z06), install the Z06 1/4 panels and front fenders (incl. the Z06 bumper).
My guess is that I will spend some 15K bringing my total price close to :partyon: :thumbsup: :devil: :D :cheers: or a little over the Z06 BUT it will be a convertible automatic with a lot more HP that a Z06. What everyone else things?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Z06 or Procharger?

If you can afford it get the Z because it has real internals. You can mod it to a much higher level with comfort where as the straight LS2 does not have the crank/rods/pistons that are conducive to longevity with any type of huffer.

By the time you get forged internals etc - - you could have got a Z06 or so I would think.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I think the Z would satisfy your need for power and still leave the potential for more substantial gain later. I'm with Olddog on this one. Having driven a stock Z and a modified one, I can tell you that you can definitely squeeze another 100hp out of it N/A. I think 600+ hp, even in a Z, would definitely wake up anyone you run into.

That being said, if you plan on drag racing, don't waste time on the Z. A power adder on an A6 makes a stout racer in a straight line and almost as much fun as the Z in the corners. I guess I just hate to see such a great road racer on the drag strip.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
RT,

Sound wisdom!

·
Supporting Vendor
825 Posts
High HP platform...

As far as the internals on the Z06's LS7, they do not have forged pistons, they are cast . That and their already higher compression is their biggest drawback as far as adding turbo or SC. You really cannot add much boost in it's stock form and run on pump gas without lowering compression.

Also, because of the bigger pistons, there is no aluminum block material between the cylinder sleeves. The cylinders are machined flat where they meet so they fit in the block and they touching.
That's perfectly fine for pretty high N/A power, but if you want extreme power and start thinking about FI and adding high boost levels, you greatly increase the chance of blowing head gaskets. This is because there is very little space in between the cylinders for gasket material, thus making the seal weaker under high pressures.
LS2's and LS7's have 4 bolts per cyl so the heads tend to lift under extreme boost compounding the matter even more.

That is the biggest reason I built an LS2 based 402 instead on a 427 for high boost. If I want more power, I can add higher boost a bit more reliably.

Now, when the Aluminum LSX block comes out soon with 6 bolts per cylinder to hold things together,that's a different story. (can you say LSX 500ci + twin turbo?) with 1600+RWHP )

The Modded Porsche Carrera Turbo @ 600 AWHP I ran into last night *(with my vert top down) on the tollway with would have beat a stock C6 Z06 and one with just bolt ons. But that is another story on a new Thread ( look for it )..... :D

>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts