Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the suspension today as a mockup to make sure everything on my frame is complete before coating it. I don't want to discover that something else needs welding after coating the frame. Once the suspension it on, I will drop the block and trans on to make sure the clutch bracket lines up. The front suspension is almost complete right now.

It is hot and humid today and am taking a break right now before heading out to finish up. Got to get use to hot and humid again for the summer. I will post some pics tonight when I download from my camera.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I only have most of the front suspension installed. I did not install the spring or the sway bar. I don't have the endurance I had when I was younger, so did not get as much done as I planned for today.

Here is what I started out with this morning:

Right side A-Arms and spindle in place:

Here are both A-Arm sets, spreader bar and steering linkage (wish I had rack & pinion, but that will have to wait for now)

The differential crossmember is not all the way on here. I have to get it on all the way before I can continue with the rear suspension. That will have to wait for another day however.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That's still a bunch of parts to hang in a day=- even on a nice Saturday..

:partyon:

I still haven't figured out all the hype about a rack and pinion. Ol' Red will out drive me if I let it. Steers quick enough it'll get you in trouble. One day I guess I need to drive one that's been converted for a good comparison.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These A-Arms are built really well and weigh about half of what the stock arms weigh. I would recommend them!!

The steering is really heavy!! I had them stored in the loft above the garage and it was a bear to get them down. I had no issues with them before, but I am sure the hydraulic will need new seals all around.

The way I boxed, labeled and stored everything made it really easy to find the parts I needed. If anyone ever does a frame off, I highly recommend developing a category system to store the parts. I did not have to run to the parts store once for bolts, washers, etc :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to see you have the chance to get out there and work on it some.:thumbsup:
Between the 4 daily drivers maintenance and other things that take my attention on the weekends like mowing, the Vette usually gets last choice. Not my choice, but that's the way it usually ends up. Saturdays are the only days I have a chance to work on the Vette.... my weekdays are totally filled with other responsibilities. I am making much better headway now since I have so many parts bought and stored. I would like to have the body on the frame as soon as possible so I can start working on the interior. The Big Block is going to take more saving up for.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I pulled the rear crossmenber out of the 77 when I swapped gears- putting it back up, I just swabbed anti-seize all over the monuments and let the bolts do the work.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled the rear crossmenber out of the 77 when I swapped gears- putting it back up, I just swabbed anti-seize all over the monuments and let the bolts do the work.
That is a good idea!! I will do that!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Those are 7/16-14 bolts, get some long bolts,threaded rod,studs, etc screw them into the sombero and just use a nut to draw up the cross member.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those are 7/16-14 bolts, get some long bolts,threaded rod,studs, etc screw them into the sombero and just use a nut to draw up the cross member.
Thanks! I will do that. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a lot done on the rear suspension, but still a ways to go. This weekend I spent alot of time looking for small things like nuts, bolts and washers. I had to keep reminding myself that this was not the final install so to press on to just hanging the hardware to make sure nothing on the frame interferes with anything. The plan is to finish the rear suspension then drop the block with trans on to make sure that the clutch pivot braket is in the exact right spot.

I took your advise about the differential crossmember and that worked. The liquid wrench along with the longer treaded stud did the trick. :thumbsup:

I failed to make any pics this weekend so there is none to post. I will try to remember to take pics from now on so you all can see the progress.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I dropped the 454 block w/ 4 speed on the frame. I needed to do this to confirm that the clutch pivot bracket was in the exact correct spot. Notice that I have to use the bolt on pivot ball bracket from Scoggins-Dickey since the Gen V Big Blocks have no boss for the pivot ball. Everything lines up perfectly!

Other than two small spots under the frame that needed a little grinding, there has not been any parts alignment issues.

Prepping the block/trans to drop on the frame:

Block bolted to the frame:

Z-Bar in place. Both pivot brackets line perfectly.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
cool pics :thumbsup:

this is quite a tangent, but I'm kind of surprised at how little camber is gained with the suspension at full compression. Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool pics :thumbsup:

this is quite a tangent, but I'm kind of surprised at how little camber is gained with the suspension at full compression. Interesting.
Interesting! I will lift the front end and take pics of the suspension travel at mid and uncompressed. I am really curious to see the camber difference. I plan to do this hopefully next Monday.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Interesting! I will lift the front end and take pics of the suspension travel at mid and uncompressed. I am really curious to see the camber difference. I plan to do this hopefully next Monday.
I bought a digital level/angle finder at Sears for about $40. It's magnetic and will stick right to the center of the wheel which makes it a handy little tool for getting a good idea of camber change.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used a level that has a magnets. I put the level on the inside of the disc. Of course the alignment is not dialed in, I just installed the hardware. This just gives a rough idea of the camber travel.

Here are the wheels at un-sprung weight:

Here it is at half travel:

Here is the level at un-sprung:

Here is the level at mid travel:

Here is the level at compressed:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts