Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I started ordering parts to fix my 97. I'm getting the LS6 service engine from GMPerformance Parts, an LS6 intake manifold and headers from a local speed shop, and all the various gaskets, fluids, and beer from the local dealers.

I already have a Granitelli red MAFS, Blackwing air filter, K&N bridge, and LS1Edit software to re-calibrate the spark curve in the computer. This car is going to smoke any normally aspirated Z06 on the road when it's done :D
I'm going to remove the (junk) LS1 from the car this weekend. I hope my new engine will arrive next week and will go in next weekend.

Even though my engine died after only 28,000 miles, I'm lucky to own a 97, because 97's are the only year where the PCM's fuel delivery data table is compatible with the fuel requirements of the LS6. See, GM went with overkill mode on the 97's and spec'd them with 28.6 lb. fuel injectors. From 98 on, all LS1 C5's have 24 lb. injectors, and a much less aggressive fuel delivery curve in the PCM, which is WAY too lean for an LS6. All 2001 and newer Z06's have 28.2 lb. fuel injectors, and the fuel lookup table is nearly identical to the 97's, so it is by the grace of God (actually John Juriga and Scott Leon at GM) that my 97's PCM has the capability to deliver the fuel that the higher HP engine will need, because The fuel lookup tables can't be altered without replacing the computer, and a Z06 computer and harness won't interface with the rest of my car's electronics. So even though my car's engine died a premature death, at lease I can replace it with something much, much better, and still be legal (after all, the ODBII computer will still tell the emissions people that my car has a stock LS1 in it :cool: )

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Sounds good to me,an LS1 can make 1100hp,with twins and other upgrades of coarse,so you still could have went with an LS1 modded to whatever level you wanted if you didn't have an LS6.Sounds like you could have went either way.
I'm just going to keep modding my LS1 and eventually get 11s or 10s in the 1/4.:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. Actually the real kicker was that GM only offers a 320hp F-car LS1 in the catalog, and I just couldn't see myself commiting this much work to a weaker engine or a used engine. The LS6 deal was cheaper than any of the new LS1 crate engines I could find.

The thing I really like about the LS6's are the vented liners that reduce pumpup in the crankcase.

Keep workin on your car, Todd. It sounds awesome. I hope yours doesn't suffer the same fate mine did. I'm actually glad mine went when it did, because I was SERIOUSLY considering a supercharger for it. Can you imagine what I'd be feeling right now if I had installed a blower and THEN had the engine fail? I would have felt like it was all my fault! :(

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Seems pretty rare to have an LS1 sieze at 28k. Did Jiffy-Lube forget to put oil in it? Or did you run a 400 shot of Nitrous? :laughing: :nuts:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Well i'm up to 40,006 miles,so far so good,i run the car hard,and take good care.Your failure was probably a 1 in 1000 shot.Your right,you would have blamed the engine failure on yourself and the supercharger.That sucks about the catalog f-body motors.I sent you a link on a long block for sale,but i guess it was to late,actually it was in your other thread.Hopefully if mine does goes,i will have enough cash to buy a MTI or Lingenfelter motor in the 500 hp range.
You can put an LS6 sticker on your car and mean-it.:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patrick96LT4 said:
Seems pretty rare to have an LS1 sieze at 28k. Did Jiffy-Lube forget to put oil in it? Or did you run a 400 shot of Nitrous? :laughing: :nuts:
Yeah, real rare. No NOS, and I do all my own maintenence. the oil was good and the PCM said all the guages were right where they should have been at the exact moment it gave up the ghost. The liner on the number 6 cylinder came loose and the piston wedged in it, seizing the engine and ruining the head, block, connecting rod, and crank. I have one good Head, which is not enough to base a rebuild on, so it's crate engine time.

This was a failure mode we saw in early prototype GENIII engines. The aluminum in the blocks was too porous and coolant would seep into the cylinder liner seems and act as a lubricant, which would make the liner slip. This problem was supposed to be eradicated long before any production engines were installed in cars. I have to trace my engine's serial number to see when exactly it was built.

I think I simply rolled snake eyes... but you can bet I've been in contact with some of my old GM buddies giving them TONS of grief over this :nuts:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
moore_rb said:
I think I simply rolled snake eyes... but you can bet I've been in contact with some of my old GM buddies giving them TONS of grief over this :nuts:
That's what friends are for! :laughing:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JBsZ0666 said:
I believe I've seen ls6 crate motors for like 4500? is that price about right?

Yeah, I'm paying 4700.00 for mine from a local GM dealer. That price includes shipping.

$400 for the Z06 manifold
$400 for the headers

$2000 for the amount of Budweiser it's gonna take to get this job done ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't know about the GMS MAF though. Everyone seems to have problems with them.

BTW, what kind of headers are you getting for only $400. Most of the well regarded headers for C5s seem to run about $900-1500.

Also, the 320hp LS1 is the same engine we have, GM just rated it lower in F-bodies, partly because of the more restrictive intake and exhaust. However, on the dyno RWHP tends to be about the same for vettes and F-bodies. The oil pan is different, but you could've gotten the one off your old engine, if it wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fdxpilot said:
Don't know about the GMS MAF though. Everyone seems to have problems with them.
I've had mine for two years and no problams at all.

BTW, what kind of headers are you getting for only $400. Most of the well regarded headers for C5s seem to run about $900-1500.
They are a set of ceramic coated BBK's that I got from a shop called Xtreme Engineering here in Phoenix. The guy just wanted to move his last set, and I was the lucky one.

Also, the 320hp LS1 is the same engine we have, GM just rated it lower in F-bodies, partly because of the more restrictive intake and exhaust. However, on the dyno RWHP tends to be about the same for vettes and F-bodies. The oil pan is different, but you could've gotten the one off your old engine, if it wasn't damaged.
yeah, but why would I endure all the hassle (and expense) of swapping the engine in my car if it was going to run, sound, and accelerate the same when I was done? I intend to DRASTICALLY improve this car's performance. (to the tune of 70-80 RWHP) That's my only real incentive for doing all this work...
Besides, the LS1 F-car crate engine costs more than the LS6 crate engine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
moore_rb said:

Besides, the LS1 F-car crate engine costs more than the LS6 crate engine.
Then more power to you. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts